Any idea who signed this pokemon card?

imgur.com/a/4DwEmd9

Does anyone have any idea who signed this pokemon card please?

My ex wife was the Pokémon product manager at WOTC and assisted it’s UK launch in the late 90’s. Unfortunately she kept most of the spoils, full sets etc! I did however manage to get the complete jungle edition and in the back of the folder was some promo cards and this one.

We both attended launches for Pokémon all over the UK and stayed at numerous GENCONs. As it’s dated 10/99 I can only assume it would have been signed at one of these events.

Any assistance would be fab!

4 Likes

October 1999 lines up with the Tropical mega Battle. Perhaps a participant or someone else in attendance? This website (pokumon.com/1999-tropical-mega-battle-super-secret-battle/) says the following notable people were in attendance: Andrew Finch (WotC DCI Manager), Ron Foster (Translator), Imakuni?, Peter Adkison (WotC CEO), T. Ishihara, K. Ooyama, and K. Himeno.

My best guess is Peter Adkison. Here’s a MTG card signed by him that loosely matches on the right. So final answer - CEO of WotC in 1999.

4 Likes

That’s great, many thanks for the assistance in solving this for me.

Does it actually hold any value?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Off topic, I think Peter’s auto makes the price of said item, tumble lol. Out of my half dozen dealings with him, all were handled poorly by him and his “next downs”.

2 Likes

To the right person, maybe. But I am not aware of any sales suggesting that his signature holds a premium. Only way to find out would be an auction.