Analysis of the Extra Trophy Cards that have surfaced so far

With all the free time at the moment, I decided to look back in depth at all the sales data of the extra factory copies of trophy that have sold and that still haven’t popped up in the market as well as a few legitimate copies that are connected. Something ive been meaning to do for a while and connect the dots visually, I find the research fascinating.

The 2 cards below were the first 2 factory extras that came on to the market, initially back in April 2019, but it took 2 more listings for the No name No.1 Trainer and TMB No.1 to officially change hands. Ive censored the names of some buyers unless permission is granted.

Below are more photos of the name No.1 Trainer and TMB No.1 for archive.imgur.com/a/PSDgzcU
www.psacard.com/cert/43376076/

**As you can see prices were not as high as anticipated, hesitation from bidders due to the legitimacy of the both the cards and a brand new seller.

This proceeded by another auction by the same seller, this time listing another No name No.1 Trainer and SSB No.1**

Below are more photos of the name No.1 Trainer and SSB No.1 for archive.imgur.com/a/u0rS8pW
www.psacard.com/cert/43632180/
www.psacard.com/cert/44030000/

**An interesting point with Enndalgames, there buy price point is much higher than most card shops. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were the winner but I couldn’t find the connection behind the scenes.

On top of the TMB, enndalgames2 also graded the following 2 cards that were either side the sold TMB PSA 10’s certification number. To my knowledge neither of the 2 cards below have surfaced.

Also there are no scans of the 3 cards Enndalgames graded, submitted via bulk ?**

**While we’re on the subject I would also like to share a finding that it appears enndalgames2 won the Pikachu Illustrator that sold for 6,501,000 Yen back in September. The winning account is connected to a page on their store. Looking back through their purchases, there’s no doubt there the winner.

Maybe it will resurface on their store or maybe it will go into their vault for 20 years.**

Below are more photos of the Illustrator for archive.www.psacard.com/cert/42304277/
imgur.com/a/E9vQI9E

The cards above are all attached to 1 seller and the cards below are attached to another seller that have no connection, so far. **The findings below, with the help of PSA scans show the 8 cards that are connected to the same owner. Only 4 of the 8 have shown up so far, although the Ishihara GX and The Masked Royal could be discounted since there isn’t much to support them being factory extras.

The seller (link000030) of the No.1 SSB & No.3 Female Trainer TMB below deleted their account post sale of the Female Trainer, since then they have been listing via a new user (cqlzi75228).**

Below are their respective PSA linkswww.psacard.com/cert/43884611/
www.psacard.com/cert/43884612/
www.psacard.com/cert/43884613/
www.psacard.com/cert/43884614/
www.psacard.com/cert/43884615/
www.psacard.com/cert/43884616/

Another surprise occurred today when a No.2 TMB was listed yesterday on yahoo by the same seller as the Pikachu No.3, after some trouble scanning I managed to connect it with 2 more amazing cards, a second No.1 Female SSB and a second 1998 No.3 Pikachu. The fact that 3 Female Trainers have surfaced now only strengthens the hypothesis that these are all extra copies either given to a higher up or illegitimately taken.

Below are their respective PSA linkswww.psacard.com/cert/45908334/
www.psacard.com/cert/45908335/
www.psacard.com/cert/45908336/

**To conclude, minus the 2 Enndalgames graded either side of the TMB, Ishihara GX and The Masked Royale then were left with 13 Old Back Trophies that were not given to winners.

If and when more surface I will add them to this post, I wanted to create a single place to archive these as opposed to the giant auction thread.**
If you have anything to add or you see a mistake ive made then please do so.

55 Likes

Trophy cards aren’t my thing, but I respect a man that does solid detective work. Nicely done, @prochaos

10 Likes

The PSA 9 Wonder Platinum was on Enndal’s site before for a month or more and no longer there after that time. This would suggest that it had been sold.

The recently graded PSA 9 No.1 Female Trainer is actually a WC TMB but PSA mislabelled it as WC SSB instead.

Other than that, great research work!

1 Like

I thought I remembered seeing the Wonder Platinum on there but couldnt find anything to back it up.

The trainers get real confusing when the only differences are in the description.

Thank you for the great info!

I’m not sure I understand this:

“The fact that 3 Female Trainers have surfaced now only strengthens the hypothesis that these are all extra copies either given to a higher up or illegitimately taken.”

1 Like

@prochaos ,Thank you for putting this together ! Incredible detective work :grin:

2 Likes

Is there a list or a tally of total known copies for each trophy card?

@cosrob,Check out this article → www.elitefourum.com/t/pokemon-trophy-and-prize-cards-guide/25700/1

1 Like

Carrying on with a new Extra copy that surfaced today from the same seller cqlzi75228

A No.3 Female Trainer, currently on Auction and raw this time

page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f419318338

1 Like

Great job tracing these and linking them to their original source.

As mentioned above though, I’m curious as to why you say:

“The fact that 3 Female Trainers have surfaced now only strengthens the hypothesis that these are all extra copies either given to a higher up or illegitimately taken.”

Do you have any info on the reasoning behind such hypothesis? Did evidence surface that indicates one of the two options mentioned by you may be true?

@7l7l,

Apologies for delay, its something i need to look into in depth but very very few female trainers were given out. When the first no name trainer got listed their were ideas that winners could choose to not have their name printed but the fact that now 7 no name trainers have now surfaced and 4 of them are female is mind blowing. All of these are clearly extra copies just like collectorscache with their AA cards.

What else did these 2 individuals get their hands on?

2 Likes

I doubt winners were able to chose. It‘s unlikely that they gave the cards to the winners and then asked them to give them back for printing the name. Most likely the cards were printed (same amount of female and male trophies) and then after each tournament they printed the names and handed the cards to the winners.
But even if we assume they had a choice, there is no way any winner would decline to have their name printed on a card

One more
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h475506903
It‘s getting crazy with extra copies…

4 Likes

It will be interesting if/when we start doubling the amount of population that some trophies are supposed to have out in the wild.

6 Likes

That‘s definitely possible considering they printed a whole sheet of each trophy card (but only handed out 9 copies of the TMB / SSB as an example)

1 Like

I guess the question that nobody has asked yet is: are these old copies or are they reprints? If they’re old copies printed on the same sheet as the cards awarded to the winners then it’s not really much of a problem as there will only be a finite supply, however if they’re reprints, and especially if the reprint happened recently, we’d have a problem as their supply would now be infinite.

It is a bit odd to see the seller listing these copies is the same seller who listed a modern ‘trophy’, Ishihara GX - it’s not like it’s some former employee who worked of the printers 20 years ago who pocketed a bunch but instead someone who actively has access to these copies. Could they have been pocketing these over the past 20 years? Possibly. However I imagine it’s more likely that they’ve gotten their hands on a box full of these or even the sheets which were used to print these in the first place and are milking it whilst trophy prices are so high.

1 Like

Then what about all the Art Academys? You think its the same there that its a worker with old extra copies selling? Not sure if they go under the discussion about trophy cards (even tho they are awards, if not just ignore the coversation)

They are old copies. One day if I ever get out of the hobby I’ll do a full breakdown how it all works.

3 Likes

If you can confirm that for everybody, that’s probably a reliever. Obviously the disaster case is someone has blank sheets from that era and access to that printer and if you know otherwise, thoughts without divulging what you think is ‘not until I quit material’ would be good.

I’m sure they are printed on the same sheets as any other series. I don’t know the total number of cards on a sheet, but that should at least tell you the minimum number of actual copies out there.