Analysis of the Extra Trophy Cards that have surfaced so far

That makes sense. Although take the trophy pikachu cards, if 1st-3rd place were all printed on the same 121 card sheet, then theoretically 40 copies of each if no fillers were used. Right now PSA has seen less than 10 copies of each. Doesn’t mean there are 30 more ungraded copies floating around in a Japanese CEO desk somewhere, but if extra copies of these trophy cards are floating around it’s very possible there are extras from other years as well.

I guess I would think each sheet when printing trophys/promos, was for a specific event. Not multiple years worth of trophys or multiple special events worth of cards on a single sheet.

Japanese sheets are only 64 cards no?

2 Likes

Unless someone has seen an uncut sheet and doesn’t want that getting out :wink:

Does anybody seriously believe someone has the printer from 1999/2000 at home and is printing and cutting trophy cards? Hahahaha some people watch too much TV it seems.

5 Likes

I mean is there any preventing that from happening?

Some rare ink thats no longer produced? Some factory worker that died with the secret recipe?

2 Likes

lol

1 Like

reality.

Its all a meme, but humor me for a second. If there were copies being printed today on old blanks.

How would we be able to tell the difference?

They had good value even 20 years ago. Had extras been around on a mass scale, 20-100, they would have popped up then.

Presumably the original ink would be faded or mixed with containment particles after sitting for twenty years.

Interesting! Any writeup about that? I’m sure this has come up in sports/historical docs

I’ll search for some. I’m into calligraphy and there are special storage protections people take for bottling expensive ink that I doubt were taken for mass producing Pokémon cards (assuming promos were printed same equipment as set cards). Otherwise the pigment can fade.

Edit: here’s a basic run up. The main issue would be the ink sitting in the container or printer cartridge for twenty years. You generally shake a bottle of ink every time you use it for smooth pigment. With printer ink this isn’t manually necessary but twenty years of sitting could do damage.

penhabit.com/ufaqs/does-ink-go-bad-what-if-my-ink-has-a-best-by-date/

2 Likes

another one buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/h476409962 ?

No that copy was actually awarded. They blurred out the name of the winner.

1 Like

yeah i just saw the blur and skipped over it because it was too similar color to the card oopps.

Hey @prochaos I’m wondering what you think of this thread. Scans of nameless Neo 1/2/3 trophies where the scans are over a decade old. Young Pkonno or someone in a similar position? pokegym.net/community/index.php?threads/japanese-trophy-cards-pre-2003.49372/

IIRC there was also a sale of 8? snap pokemon cards in the late 2000s, should we assume it was a similar situation to pkonno today, or simply someone incredible at sourcing? No Magikarp in that deal.

1 Like

Those scans were from the Silver Bible or Trainer Mags. There weren’t names on those boy/girl trainers that were featured on publications.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am humbled by your knowledge

1 Like

One more to add
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e447138629

This one has been listed for a while but wasn‘t included in this thread yet:
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v707990505

3 Likes