Advice on protecting yourself as a seller on eBay

Hi Guys,
I wondered if you could give me any tips and advice from your experiences of selling on eBay.

I have took high resolution scans and photos so people know exactly what theyre getting. Ive read a few horror stories from this forum in the past few years about sellers getting screwed over and the poor ebay ‘seller protection.’ I will send the cards with full tracking/insurance and via the ebay GSP when selling abroad.

Are there any other steps i can take to give myself the most reliable and safe experience? Ive sold a few things on ebay in the past but they werent as expensive so i didnt bother with this extra worry about things. And sadly i feel society in general is not as honest as it used to be, with so many more trends such as scamming, scalping etc on the rise.

Thanks for your time,Matt

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that 95 percent (and probably more) of transactions you ever have on eBay will be seamless. The vast majority of buyers are not out to screw sellers or scam anyone. Those cases are few and far between.

But the only things you can really do to protect yourself as well as possible are taking really good photos, writing very detailed descriptions and using tracking (and insurance when sending high-value items).

Also, put a “Make Offer” option on your item. That way, when buyers make offers, you can filter them out by viewing their feedback first and then making the determination as to whether or not you want to sell to them.

Chances are, you will be fine. Don’t stress about it too much.

13 Likes

tracking and insurance incase lost or stolen, make sure to keep any messages etc from buyers, get proof of postage, best offer is a good choice and be generally diligent. If you feel something is off approach with caution and look into why you feel like that. I don’t upload tracking on ebay unless requested or needed. I keep it incase a buyer tries to pull a fast one and say the item hasn’t arrived. This has happened a handful of times and it is surprising how quickly the item is “found with a neighbor or family member” XD. Just be careful and make sure to keep track of everything. I sometimes film packing and weight for expensive items etc I know alot of people scoff but it can come in handy. there are plenty of tips and tricks to deal with difficult customers or scammers to try call them out without backing them into a corner. Giving them an out so they feel like they chose the option of finding the item etc. I am only a small side seller but have had my fair share of difficult customers, though 95%+ go smoothly as cerulean has said.

The only real protection from getting scammed on ebay is to not sell anything on ebay. You can always go with pwcc.

1 Like

If you are selling anything above $500 and worried I would go through PWCC.

I guess you could consign