A variation of questions

Holy fuck, thats the craziest PDF I have ever seen

1 Like

Make a thread for your file, that is a stupid amount of work. Really well done.

2 Likes

I have had a lot of deadtime at work today so I have been looking through around 200 pages of your PDF. This is incredible work! Are you sure you started collection just a few months ago?

2 Likes

Hope everyone is doing fine.
(33) More information* At the end of this post '97 Corocoro Illustration Contest Cards (Not Differentiable) is the following text

• “2020 proves to be the most eye-opening year for trophy/rare card collectors as we are seeing some cards for the first time after 20+ years. Dpt-p Cresselia/Darkrai, Girl Trainers, No Name New Back Battle Raods, 1997 Bible Pikas, and this card.”
  • Can someone provide links to the threads where these were discussed

(34) CoroCoro Pokémon Illustration Contest, late 1997 to early 1998

• In this article Link it states “…A total of four finalists had their artwork featured on cards,…”
  • I only know of - Snorlax, Mr. Mime, Poliwrath …

(35) just to be sure* Only Snorlax, Mr. Mime, Poliwrath from the Quick Starter Gift Set feature the Corocoro illustration contest text next to the illustrator, right?

(36) Aerodactyl (Fossil 1)* Link “The US promotional print has the Starlight Holofoil, while the European print has the Cosmos Holofoil.” beside the holofoil, is there any other difference between those prints?

(37) VS-Set

(38) Pics* “…In Japan, this card was released as part of a Special Edition Celebi Game Boy Advance bundle package in March 2001…”

(39) Pichu* How to tell the dif. between E1 (Pichu) and E3 Expo, May 2002 (Pichu)

Thanks in advanceCracker

Here we go again. :laughing:

www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-auction-thread/22028/13346 (Cresselia/Darkrai and Girl No Name Battle Road Trainers)
www.elitefourum.com/t/analysis-of-the-extra-trophy-cards-that-have-surfaced-so-far/26439/1 (extra copies of Trophies that surfaces thus far)
www.elitefourum.com/t/pkonno2002-the-sales-data-for-snap-cards-trophies-archive/28304/1 (extra copies of Trophies that were put for sale by pkonno thus far)

The fourth one they’re referring to is probably the Mewtwo. Poliwrath, Snorlax, and Mr. Mime were from the contest of October to December 1997, and Mewtwo was from the contest of April to June 1998. bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Illustration_contests#Pok.C3.A9mon_Card_Game_Illust_Artist_Contest

As to how to differentiate the three versions of the Poliwrath, Snorlax, and Mr. Mime, @chok recently made this excellent post: www.elitefourum.com/t/97-corocoro-illustration-contest-cards-not-differentiable/28552/1

Another difference is the brown of the PRERELEASE text. On the US version this is dark brown, and on the European print this is light brown:

PS: It’s called Galaxy Holofoil, not Starlight.

That website seem to just use stock images, because all their VS Series cards are unlimited edition (and it also mentions you can’t choose 1st/unlimited edition). There are also some sellers on Yahoo Japan who use stock images with for example the E1 or L1 sets that are unlimited edition, even though almost all cards are always 1st edition. A.f.a.i.k. the VS set doesn’t exist in unlimited edition, with the exception of the Pryce’s Lapras, which was released in unlimited edition as insert in a magazine.

There were also a bunch of VS set cards in the Tyranitar Half Deck, but those featured the TMB symbol. Some more info about those, mostly focusing on the other rarer languages instead of Japanese:
www.elitefourum.com/t/vs-english-card-list/28328/2
www.elitefourum.com/t/tmb-2000-2001-vs-sets-in-other-languages/27633/1

The information on Bulbapedia is incorrect according to @melchior , as he mentions here: www.elitefourum.com/t/game-boy-promos/26294/8

As for the 2nd Anniversary, here the sealed Birthday Pikachu:

And here an opening of it:

E1 refers to the Japanese Base Expansion Pack set… So the difference between that Japanese Pichu and the English E3 Expo Pichu is pretty easy to see based on the language. :stuck_out_tongue:

But there are eight different versions of this Pichu in English:

1. English Expedition Base Set 22/165 Holofoil
  2. English Expedition Base Set 22/165 Reverse Holo
  3. English Expedition Base Set 58/165 non-Holo
  4. English Expedition Base Set 58/165 Reverse Holo
  5. English Expedition Base Set 58/165 non-Holo MATCHPRINT Test print (only two copies exist)
  6. English Sample Set 083/093 non-Holo (with Japanese back) from the New York Press Conference of August 2002 (here a pic of the Pichu)
  7. English E3 Expo May 2002 58/165 non-Holo (with Japanese back) (here a pic of all four cards from the pack)
  8. English E3 Expo (not sure how/when they were distributed) 58/165 non-Holo (glossy front, English back, and a hole) (here a pic of all three from my personal collection)

As to how to differentiate these eight versions from one another:

• The sixth one has an unique set number 083/093 and contains the word Sample in the bottom-right
  • The first and second have the set number 22/165, where one is Holofoil and the other a Reverse Holo
  • All the others have the same set number 58/165. The fourth is the only Reverse Holo of those, so easy to differentiate again.
  • The eight one contains a hole.
  • The fifth one contains a white back and is square-cut (here the Pikachu from my collection as example)
  • So all that’s left are the third and seventh ones, where one has an English back and the other a Japanese back

Hope that helps.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Unless yours are different, the hole-punched version has the English back rather than the Japanese back and there are actually 2 different versions of these. I don’t believe that they were used at E3 Expo, but simply used at kiosks probably in game stores to demonstrate how to use the new e-Reader device. One is glossy on both the front and back and the other is only glossy on the front.

I made a post on Instagram a while ago comparing the non-holo Japanese, English, English E3 and English Sample cards:

http://instagr.am/p/B7Y5uKwlx1s

…and then from posts by @scratchdesk on that I made a follow-up post a while later about the hole-punched cards after I’d acquired the second set:

2 Likes

@pichufan Ah, you’re completely right, it has an English back. Just checked the cards in my own collection. I’ve edited my comment above accordingly.

And I remember seeing your post about those glossy vs non-glossy back for those hole-punched cards, but forgot about it. Thanks again for sharing. Hmm, might this Expedition Base Set Pichu be the artwork with the most different variations after the Base Pikachu artwork? :grin:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Well if you include the 7 different World Championship Deck cards there are 12 versions of the English Pokémon Collector card from the HGSS era!
A lot of my collection is just repeats of the same artwork. :sweat:

1 Like

I currently have 101 unique cards for the Base Pikachu artwork (excluding 83 more extended/altered ones), with 3 more incoming, and 7 still missing, so tell me about it, haha. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Quador,

I think the glossy pikachu your looking for with the corrected artist comes from this Coro Coro lottery. It was distributed by mail with 2000 total.
imgur.com/gallery/y6Mi4xg

Thanks, I’m indeed aware. :blush: I’m currently on the lookout for it, but thus far have only found one person who owns it, and he’s asking 1.5k+, which I’m not willing to pay at this point in time considering there should be 2000 of these out there.
So the hunt continues. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

If it helps I sold two unpeeled pairs of jiggly and pikachu for 2.5k each in the last few months. I think the pikachu peeled is probably around 1k.

(40) Winner cards (TCG)

• I always assumed these cards were only available in english, until I saw this
  • Therefore i would assume these BattleZone tournaments took place around the world?
  • and ofc now I want to know in which other languages they are available

(41) Wizards Black Star Promos (TCG)* In which languages were they available?

• Looking at this page and in hope they did a good job, it seems not all were translated
  • So does this mean I have to check each card individually, or is there some awesome spreadsheet? This gets the job also done, but maybe there is something better
  • Is there maybe some kind of thumb-rule
  • theatrical releases can be worldwide
  • Pokémon League can be worldwide
  • but “Magazine releases” (Mewtwo 12) are likely to be english only
  • What abut the distribution. For example: I found Zapdos in at least 3 dif. languages (German, English, France, Spain). Were they all “given away in the first few weeks of the theatrical release of The Power of One”?

• Is there a known reason why only the en version of Electabuzz 2 (and the others) have the gold stamp?

• (stupid side note) bulbagarden.net states “with then English-exclusive artwork by Naoyo Kimura”, shouldn’t it be something like “WOTC-exclusive…”

Thats it for today

1 Like

The pictures on that French site you’ve linked are still all in English, though… :sweat: A.f.a.i.k. the Best of Game cards were only made in English.

It’s all mostly unknown. Even for Pikachu it took months of figuring out in which languages certain WotC promos were released by Justin. When I made my single Pokémon lists the languages of the promo languages are usually also wrong (especially the WotC era). Some languages almost never pop up (i.e. I’ve only seen the Spanish Flying/Surfing Pikachus each twice; I’ve only seen the German Surfing Pikachu and second ‘Flug-Pikachu’ each twice; I’ve only seen the German Birthday Pikachu three times; etc.)

As for how they were distributed it can also vary per language. The Birthday Pikachu was a tournament promo in German for example. The legendary birds were all given at cinemas, but in Portuguese and Spanish they were given loose, while in English, German, French, and Italian they were sealed with an insert. The #26 (snap) Pikachu promo is pretty easy to find and cheap in English, German, Italian, and Spanish, but hard to find and was already 100+ USD five years ago in French (no idea how these were distributed and why they’re so much rarer / more expensive - nor what they are going for today).

Overall, it’s searching, searching, searching to figure this information out, and even then more can pop up out of nowhere. And even if you have the information, actually acquiring all the cards after that is even harder.

In general, promos in different languages are a pain to figure out because it’s so damn random. Not just of the WotC era, but in general. Looking at Pikachu, to give some weird examples:

• The WotC #4 promo Pikachu was available in Dutch both with and without Pikachu tail stamp (with stamp is from the Pikachu World Collection 2000), but none of the other three WB promos (or any other card besides the Base; Jungle; and Fossil sets for that matter) was released in Dutch. Also, all WB promos only have the stamp in English, every other available language (German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese - and Dutch for just the Pikachu) are without WB stamp. Oh, and there is also a second glossy French #4 Pikachu released in the Japanese Gotta Magazine… :unamused:
  • The WotC #27 and Nintendo 012 Pikachu promos are only available in English, Japanese, and Italian.
  • The DP16 promo Pikachu is available both with and without snowflake stamp in English and German, but in French only with snowflake stamp
  • The BW54 promo Pikachu has two different versions in Japanese, one non-Holo in English, and a Holofoil in Italian
  • The XY95 Pikachu was released in English, Japanese, French, and Portuguese
  • The XY174 Pikachu was released in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, and even Russian (but not in Japanese…)
  • The SM190 Detective Pikachu was released in English, Japanese, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Korean. In English, German, French, and Spanish there is also a second version with Movie stamp. However, although the English version with stamp was also released in the UK, the English, French AND Spanish cards with stamps were all randomly included in the blue-rays available (by error) in some regions of France, even though the Spanish one was never released in Spain nor Latin America itself… :unamused:
  • The SM206 Pikachu was released in English, Japanese, and Spanish (but only in Chile and Mexico and perhaps Argentina, not in Spain)

And I could probably name a few more examples. And this is just for Pikachu. Figuring out all this kind of information for every promo in every language is an absolute pain, and close to impossible.
I truly wish there was a list of all cards across all languages somewhere, as well as how they were distributed, but unfortunately there isn’t and there probably never will be.

Gathering information is sometimes even a larger task in my Pikachu collection than actually finding and buying the cards themselves… Although both are a pain for certain cards that I’ve only seen one or two times…
Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I want this thread to be pinned. There’s a lot of great information on here and it would be a shame to have it lost due to time again.

(42) Box* Because of this thread from ProChaos I went through the available Corocoro scans on zoidsland.com. One product caught my attention, because I have not seen it yet.

• Does the box exist?
  • The other thing is a folder, which I found

Cracker

New questions
(43) BOX-Name

• Whats the name of this box or how do collector refer to it (source link)

(44) Which Mew (Nr. 8 or 9?)* Near the end of this site

• “Pokémon Promotion
    Complete promotional handout from the September 1-3 Pokémon Adventure at the Dome, which including the Nintendo Pokémon Championships 2000. Includes bag, welcome note, game board, poster, two Pokémon cards (Mew & Team Rocket’s Meowth), and a CD-ROM (Win 95/98 format).”
  • I would say the non holo version (Nr. 8), because you can see the background colors …

Where did this box come from and what would it have in it? The pokeball design being closed makes me think unofficial or very very early product.

@lyleberr,if you look for it you can usually find it on social media.

Here is all I could find until now.

@cracker, I’ve never heard of this box before but it is so unique I will be looking out for it. Please let me know if you find an answer to it. Thanks.

1 Like