A Pokemon Marketplace

I know it’s been talked about before, and Scott even made a video about it, but I really wish there was a Pokemon exclusive marketplace. It’s kinda crazy that no real competition has come about for eBay in all these years.

Currently eBay seems more interested in chasing after Amazon than improving things for sellers,
“Guaranteed Delivery” Opinions Anyone… :unamused:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that would likely cost more money than it would ever earn. Plus being Pokemon only would be too niche… It might work if you include other TCGs, sports and other hobbies/collectables. It would take a massive investment. Probably more than $10M to build something semi decent, then you have to undercut ebay and charge around 5% fees. You’d be looking at maybe 1% profit so unless you somehow earn $100M annually in sales, it would go bankrupt rather quickly.

Just look at companies like PWCC and probstein123. They could easily get rid of the middleman(ebay) and run auctions on their own website. There’s good reasons they don’t do it.

3 Likes

I went ahead and moved this to its own thread since it is a separate discussion.

The best way to contextualize why standalone marketplaces don’t work: literally every standalone marketplace uses ebay to sell product. It is simply not feasible.

There is opportunity for sure, but if you look at any mini-marketplace (virbank, social media, etc.) there is a lot of noise and little business.

4 Likes

If only… so that we could… to Paypal and Ebay

1 Like

That would definitely be a danger, it could quickly “devolve” into instagram or virbank.

The way eBay handles stuff just makes me want to fantasize about some mythical better marketplace where Pokemon roam free, fees are low, and all customers are courteous…LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@smpratte could always open up a For Sale section here and siphon off a portion of each deal :wink:

Cardmarket has a pokemon section fwiw

1 Like

Yes he sure can do that and then have 100 unhappy customers or sellers annoying him every week if there’s the slighest problem on a deal.

There’s a reason we can’t sell here. It’s not that he’s against it, but he doesn’t want to be held liable if someone gets scammed,etc… I think I heard it was allowed before?

I really like the way Cardmarket works. Exactly what you want for buying and selling cards in my opinion.
But there is only such a small percentage of the market there so it still doesn’t work the way it should I guess.

I’ve been selling on that site for several years, and everything besides playable cards sells so slow. There’s indeed just a small population of collectors on there.

I also dislike the fact that they don’t split the cards according to their versions, you need a reverse holo or tournament promo version? Let’s hope a seller mentions it in a comment next to the card.

I agree but that’s not all bad.

That everything else sells so low is good as a buyer… In my opinion that’s just the market value for most those cards.

Most seller describe their cards ok, if not you can always ask if that’s important.

There is a reason eBay is the way it is. If you start another site, are you honestly going to do everything better? Plus, pokemon is just one of a billion things on eBay. We just don’t have much clout. It’s like going to the clubs, ladies get in free and guys have to pay. Unfair? Maybe, but sure keeps the business going…

1 Like