A chart showcasing the popularity of Pokemon in the years?

I was wondering if someone made/had a chart showcasing the pokemon’s trend/popularity over the years, mainly to help me redirect my quest for japanese promo cards with low pop, or if someone had infos on the structure of the battle roads tournamnet and similar events to understand the number of participants, difficulty in acquiring the cards and so on, thanks.

google search data for “pokemon cards”

2 Likes

Your best bet is to keep searching eBay everyday for deals and check out the unnumbered promos list on bulbapedia for japanese cards. I’m not sure what you are looking for exists, but patience will help you find what you need. I have found nearly every promo between 1996-2000 for the TCG (except trophies) and it can be a grind, but very rewarding.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnumbered_Promotional_cards_(TCG)/1996-2005

Not the big jump that one might expect.
Big surge during Pokemon Go.

External Media

External Media

Thank you all for the answers.
@slabsniper , I always forgot to do the most easiest thing

@joer , today I was looking at some unnumbered promo cards from the 2007 and I found just a couple on sale in Japan and other I can’t find them at all while looking at the release on Bulbapedia they should’t be super rare and I don’t know if they don’t appear because of scarcity or lack of interest.

I’m trying to understand how the tournaments in Japan works, how many cards are awarded for example as participation prizes and therefore how many people in Japan used to go to these events. I know it’s quite difficult since there aren’t many data available.

For example how does a Battle Road torunament work? When it says on Bulbapedia the torunament was last on ‘‘Month Year’’ was it available every day, only the weekends…

Battle Road tournaments in Japan are split across various locations. The event is usually held on 2 consecutive weekend days at each location and moves location each weekend for around 8 weeks or so.

As an example if you look at the Release Information section on the Pokémon Pal City card’s page on Bulbapedia it documents these individual events by date for the 2007 Summer Battle Road tournaments, starting in July and ending in September:

1 Like

@pichufan , perfect thank you for the info! (yay I’m also colleting the Pal City promos, but I had no idea that that was the usual pattern for a Battle Road Tournament)

1 Like

So interested has mostly remained the same in almost 20 years.

Now let’s try with “pokemon psa”:
The hype is real since March 2020😎

3 Likes