2015 art acadamy

Wanted to get people’s thought on these cards , some of the art work I love and some of them in my opinion is pretty awful , may have been done by a little kid so won’t be too harsh .
How do you see the future of these cards value going and does anyone own a complete set.

I believe the current value and future of each card is unique since each seller has their own approach to distributing their cards. It would be really neat as a seller to have control over an entire market and experiment with selling strategies.

6 Likes

As most here already know, from a serious Pokémon enthusiasts viewpoint, I think they are an ugly amateur release with no long term value.
As a gimmick, it was a great, fun idea.

Here’s what I know:

-They’re some of the most frequently requested cards from me.
-Every single one I have ever sold sold at full asking price relatively quickly.
-The value on even the most highly distributed copies has increased and never once gone down.
-You cannot own them without hunting and most original winners that sold no longer have available copies.
-Purchased copies are not re-entering the market.

I think you’d have to have a huge stick way up your ass about them to miss how valued, desired, and relevant these cards are. There is no negative argument to be made about them. Literally the only complaints anyone has ever had about them boil down to:

A) I don’t like illustration contest cards because the children aren’t Picasso.

B) I didn’t get them for cheap when they first came out and now I’m bitter.

If you don’t like illustration contests, just don’t even enter the conversation. I don’t like Yu-Gi-Oh cards, but I don’t go to Yu-Gi-Oh groups on Facebook and comment “Not a fan” on every single post. And if you’re bitter about the value increase, doubling down (really quadrupling done at this point) and saying they won’t go up again is foolish.

Find modern English promos (the biggest demographic of Pokemon collectors in the world, by the way) from the last five years with a better track record for collecting, rarity, and investment success and I’ll drop $10K on it right now.

14 Likes

I’d disagree with this. If those statements applied to the Art Academy cards, they’d also apply to the Snap promos, which seem to have had long term value. I think a serious Pokémon enthusiast would recognize how inherently rare these cards are.

1 Like

Artists have the option to make a Charizard card :roll_eyes: potential for a extremely sought after card!
I await the results in may!!

2 Likes

Charlie highlighted why the cards were a great concept. All you have to say is, “they are unique art and have 100 copies each”. That is the collectors dream right there!

The only negative, which wasn’t the cards themselves, but during initial release people were maliciously leveraging the contacts of winners. I remember posting photos of the first complete set of Japanese art academy cards and within minutes received a flaming volcanic butthurt message how they were fake and this photo will upset the winners… There was disgusting animosity when they released. However, the cards themselves are quality. They are what collectors want; the proof is in the pudding.

2 Likes

@alecpokemon Snap promos aren’t from a drawing contest and they’re also 5x as rare so they are different. Although I’m not sure Gary is a fan of Snap promos either.

I think Charlie is spot on with the cards being collectible. I would collect them all at a certain price point, but once they get up there (many already are now) I’d put my money elsewhere.

The Snaps aren’t bad.
The illustrator cards are a different story. They are a garbage collectible. Ugly, amateur scribbles. I knew they’d be popular though. Like many old timers here know, right when they were sent to the winners I offered 10,000.00 for 99 of them and 15,000.00 for 100. I knew I’d make money at those prices, but couldn’t get anybody to bite.
I’m not big on gimmicks. They cheapen the hobby.
In time they’ll be worth about the same as a 2000 Spawn comic. Don’t waste your money.
And anybody who feels differently must have their head up their arse lol.

Edit: BTW Chuck…I’m no fan of Picasso either;)

Except they were drawn by Joe Schmo. How is that quality? Some people wanting them is hardly a statement proving anything. They were simply a fun gimmick. Nothing more…nothing less.

Gary have you seen all of the cards? Some of the art is incredible in terms of detail and quality. It doesnt make sense to me to group them all as amature and shitty like you seem to be doing.

Well, let’s put it this way, there’s no Kinebuchi’s or Himeno’s In there;)

Give me 2 mins and ill change your mind!

@garyis2000 here are some examples that i think are really good and i would go as far to say that if i told someone that a couple (looking at you gourgeist and sableye) were done by a regular tcg artist you wouldnt question it.

Triple post :sweat_smile:

1 Like

OMG…IVE GOT TO HAVE THEM ALL lol.
Since you went to all that effort Luke, I would say the Mew would have fooled me:)

Well having you like one is better than none!

2 Likes

Multiple winners are full time professional artists.

2 Likes

I think you are more frustrated from that experience with the 15k offer than the actual cards! The process of obtaining these cards during release was definitely toxic high school clique drama. But some of the art is extremely whimsical, like vending cards or other releases.

I honestly think if each seller just listed them on eBay and/or second hand individuals weren’t gatekeeping assholes you wouldn’t have this bitter feeling. Even for someone peripherally collecting them in the beginning, the process definitely steered people away.

So was Andy Warhol;) I wonder if any were 3D artists?