$20,000+ package returned to me after not clearing customs

Hey guys! I am stuck on my first international sale. I’ve been trying to send a package to Australia with 3 cards worth $20,000 collectively. It didn’t make it through customs and was sent back to me. The reasoning I was given was that each item was worth more than $2,500 and that an “FTR” was required. Upon doing my research, I learned that “FTR” likely stands for “Foreign Trade Regulations.” I am super lost about what I need to do to register my items properly. The people at USPS didn’t warn me at all about this.

Has anyone here run into this issue? What did you do?

My buyer is waiting, so I really really appreciate the help. :blush:

If sending that value abroad like that I’d definitely use FedEx or UPS not USPS. They will get it done correctly for you. The buyer may also have to provide their tax information to the shipping company to properly clear customs at that value.

1 Like

You probably have to report them with full value?

FedEx will contact to importer (depends of declared value), If they do contact about the customs duty, the importer needs to show a receipt of purchare
(atleast in Finland).

1 Like

I just had this problem too but the value was 3k. I was called and told I need an itn number and that I had a few hours or the package would be returned to me. After discussing it with me the guy said he would just adjust the value to just under 2.5k to avoid any issues. The whole thing seemed ridiculous. I’m just happy my package went through okay. What nonsense.

I have been told USPS will do everything in their power to refuse paying insurance on cards btw, so what does declared value even matter? They don’t accept sold eBay listings and only take receipts for purchase. I was told this by my own post master who has been working in mail for 30+ years.

2 Likes

Just put 15.00 postage on a bubble mailer and you’re set.
Of course the buyer responsible for loss and damage so f/f payment. They must agree

5 Likes

Australian here talking from experience.

Go with Fedex express and mark it around $200-$500, I’ve had 4 packages worth over 5 digits in the last 6 weeks and not one has had a problem.

Better yet it comes within 5 business days.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent point Gary. I will have to remember that for next time… I’m sweating over the package arriving, but F/F would eliminate that issue.

1 Like

That’s an excellent point Gary. I will have to remember that for next time… I’m sweating over the package arriving, but F/F would eliminate that issue.

Two things to be very aware of with F&F:

1. PayPal will block your account if you get reported for misusing F&F;
  2. Your country’s monetary gift rules very much still apply.

In the UK if you were to receive $20,000 (£15,300) over F&F you’d be legally required to declare tax on $16,072 (£12,300) of that amount as the monetary gift threshold per person per year is £3,000. You’d also be legally required to keep track of how much money that person had sent you in any given tax year as well - if that same buyer sent you any more money you’d be legally required to declare tax on the full amount as you’d already be passed the £3,000 threshold with them.

Furthermore if you do use F&F in the UK and do not meet the threshold you’re still legally required to pay taxes on the full amount if they pass away in the next 7 years as well.

In the UK if you ever get audited and are found to have been abusing gift payments like this you’d very much be in trouble for committing fraud, so for anyone considering doing this: please think about the consequences.

3 Likes