1999 Shadowless Thick vs Thin 1st Edition Stamps

1st post here but I’m in the process of getting my base set graded and I just came across the whole thick vs thin stamp aspect. I guess my question is, can anyone confirm that the photo of the Wartortle I’ve attached is the thin stamp. From what I’ve researched and seen, it looks like the thin. This is a link to my collection and it looks like a majority of my cards are the thin stamp, www.dropbox.com/sh/aoi71ujs1071lxh/AAC7tHKE6800_PFUccjLyPXTa?dl=0.

Does this make the value of the card go up or is it just up to the collector? ALL THE QUESTIONS!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

ohhhhhh I think I get it now. The thick vs thin refers to the 1 in the circle right? I’m a fool

2 Likes

That would be a regular ole thick stamp.

1 Like

It’s pretty easy to find both thin and thick stamp holo cards, so I think the value is the same.

Non-holo cards with a thin stamp are very rare so they would be worth more.

That’s a thin stamp, the “thin/thick” refers to how thick or thin the ink was laid on when the stamp pressed in.

Thick vs thin refers to the width of the “1”. Thought that was the generally accepted rule.

2 Likes

It is, that is a thick stamp.

There’s a premium for thick stamps cause fewer were produced…especially Machamps.

That’s actually how I found this forum, looking for side by side pictures of thick and thin stamps. Going by the 1 is very counter intuitive but you get used to it.

Damn I went by this:

www.elitefourum.com/t/shadowless-thick-vs-thin-vs-does-it-matter-debate/12316/1

Sorry for the misinformation!

Yes, the “thick” or “thin” refers to the thickness of the number “1”. Here is a photo from that thread, the wartortle on the left is a thin stamp, the one on the right is thick.

I understand now, but the first photo in that thread shows otherwise.

Good catch, I didn’t notice it in that post, but went ahead and corrected it.

Thanks everyone! I am a fool no more.

Only if the seller is aware of that. From what I can tell, most are not.