Is this shadowless Machamp thick/thin stamp? Implications??

Typically people want thick stamps more then thin. Not sure why but there is a small niche of people that care about the stamp and pay a premium for thick stamps.

It can be hard to get an eye for thick and thin without having a few cards in hand to compare.

A machamp overall is the most common base set holo and all of them have the 1st ed stamp so they have little value compared to the others.

I believe you have a thin stamp unlimited machamp from the quick glance I took at it would be worth imo about $15-20 ungraded

I think some people prefer the thick stamps because all of the non holo cards are thick stamps and they want the set to be uniform. I can’t really think of another reason besides ashetic appeal, which is inherently subjective.

@stevethemagicguy,

It is very easy to tell the difference even without comparison. The thin stamp has a skinny “1”, but even easier, the lettering is so thick that it almost looks globby and too thick to read at first glance. The thick stamp has nice, thin lettering of “edition”. I think the thicks looks better for the same reason gengarguy said. I heard that the thicks came first as well. That would make sense, but I can’t claim that with certainty. I would put my money on that though.

All of the Unlimited “1st edition” Machamps have a Thin Stamp.

This is because the Thick Stamp is the original stamp that was used before they switched to Thin Stamp at some point while they were making / stamping the first edition Base Set holos. Then they stuck with Thin Stamps for the Unlimited Machamp and the rest of WOTC.

Is the comment that thick stamps are “the original” based upon more than speculation? Just wondering if I missed any new evidence. My understanding is that this was an assumption based upon the comment about the second printing of 1st ed. stamped shadowless sheets.

There are also thick stamp unlimited Machamps:)

1 Like

Oh really? Interesting. Every Unlimited Machamp I’ve seen has had a Thin Stamp but if what you’re saying is true then I made a false assumption.

I’ve seen only a small handful (maybe half a dozen) truly thick stamp unlimited Machamps. But they’re out there! I never cared enough to actually buy one but probably should have in hindsight.

Oh okay. So this is kind of like how some of the non-holos have Thin Stamps then, a rare anomaly. Very interesting.