1999 Pokemon TCG Competitive Meta

Bit of a long video, but incredibly informative! I am looking forward to the next episodes on the competitive meta.

5 Likes

Watched this the other day and loved it! Stoked for more parts :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve watched a few videos like these recently, I really recommend them to collectors. It really builds your relationship with the cards as you learn more about their individual histories beyond the binder. I was never a player myself so it’s interesting to learn which cards saw a lot of use and how.

2 Likes

I do play vintage format in competitions locally, some of my friends even travel to another country to play tournaments. A dead format but still the best and most nostalgic.

1 Like

If anyone wants to do a deep dive into WOTC competitive decks, Jason Klaczynski has a great blog detailing all of the decks.

https://jklaczpokemon.com/

Jason is one of the GOAT competitive TCG players

4 Likes

His website is probably the most-cited primary source for competitive TCG history, at least in all these videos. Really a treasure trove.

@Dyl This is so close to my heart! @stagecoach I agree understanding decks builds an organic relationship with the cards. This where I learned to love pokemon and became a collector. Building decks and trying strategies when little options existed. I believe this is the true core of Pokemon. In my family we built decks and sleeved the others in binders to collect them all . When Gen 2 arrived it was mind blowing .:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . New cool Pokemon and deck options to make the play more exciting. Trading with others to improve the deck and complete a set were part of the culture. Today’s Meta moves so fast. There is so much info and support within the cards. I often hear how the English sets have no identity compared to Japanese. That’s because of the game. With fewer English releases and changes in the game the English need to get out the cards needed to support the game in less sets making those set lose identity . It makes no sense for pure collectors, for players it’s not an issue. They get what they need to compete. I think this is what makes Pokemon unique. It truly is a TCG. A GAME that is collectable. For me there is still nothing more satisfying to me than creating a new deck and playing the game. Then after sleeving those awesome cards from each new set for my binder!

Thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes