1997 Japanese Flying Pikachu promo

Hello. I am a collector of japanese and english pikachu card’s, and i like to learn the stories behind the cards before i buy them. Recently i learned about the 1997 japanese flying pikachu. If i am not mistaken i believe this is the original flying pikachu and i would love to learn the story behind if it was a type of promo, how you would aquire it, and if known, why they decided to make flying pikachu in the first place. If anyone has any information on the card i would appreciate it. Thank you!

Hi! This specific card was the first Flying Pikachu card released in the main TCG (because there’re other Pokémon collectible card series and probably there Flying Pikachu might have appeared as well, but for that I’d have to make a research).

• This card came as an insert in the CoroCoro Comic issue from November 1997.
  • Then, by the end of 1998 this card was distributed again via lottery (announced by CoroCoro in their issue of December 1998). To enter lottery, you had to fill an application page and sending it to Shogakukan. If you were 1 of the 2000 people who won, you receive 5 cards (all of them are basically cards that were distributed as inserts of CoroCoro Comic issue in the past. One of them was this Flying Pikachu).

Generally, CoroCoro promos are Glossy. This card was not the exception.

I’m not 100% certain why did they decide to make that card, but personally I think that this card represents the Flying Pikachu that was distributed by CoroCoro Comic in 1997 (Surfing Pikachu was distributed as well)

The card was distributed technically at the same time as the Pokémon for the Japanese Gen I games. Both Flying Pikachu and Surfing Pikachu Pokémon for the videogames were distributed via Lottery.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_event_Pokémon_distributions_(Generation_I)#Flying_Pikachu

Hope you find this helpful!!!
Have a nice day!!!

13 Likes

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it and enjoyed reading about the history of it. Thank you again very much. Have a nice day!

3 Likes