10 Years 10,000 Posts

I just realized today this is my 10,000th post on E4. I figured it was time for a reflective thread.

10 years ago the hobby was a different atmosphere: small, intimate, sheltered; E4 was one of maybe a handful of platforms. Social media didn’t exist; youtubers weren’t much of a thing. This beauty was brand new, “scrolls out boys”:

Fast forward to today, the hobby is larger than anyone expected. E4 had maybe 1,000 views a month in 2010. Today, that number is 1,300,000! Pokemon today is in a much better place: more collectors, more cards, tons of information, something always happening. In 2010, the “new” LP promos only had 79 cards, where today, SM-P promos are over 400!

There are entire markets that have bellossomed, such as signatures, collecting specific artists, collecting graded cards outside of base set. Not to mention numerous countries and languages that print Pokemon cards, reaching entirely new parts of the globe.

Of course with growth comes challenges. Part of enjoying a hobby is adapting and not getting stuck in the weeds. 10 years ago there wasn’t as much noise, prices were pretty consistent. Today it’s the opposite; the market is larger than ever, and so is the noise. Therefore the new challenge is where to put your time and energy. Remember, while prices have increased, there are countless affordable cards, artwork, and paraphernalia to enjoy!

Lastly, and most importantly, we all enjoy the same hobby. Sometimes that universal value is blurred in our daily competition. Hopefully this brief reflection is a reminder that while the hobby is always in motion, that value remains constant, 10 years later.

135 Likes

Cute post. It must feel damn good to see so many people on E4 today :blush:

Scrolls out bois

6 Likes

Congrats Scott! Thanks for growing the community over the years!

5 Likes

Fantastic post! I’m new to E4, but it is such a great place to learn, post, explore, and just enjoy so many parts of the hobby. I’m glad that it has grown so much in 10 years, it must have been a great ride. Lets all go for 10 more years of enjoying this hobby together! :grin:

5 Likes

Congrats Scott, E4/UPCCC definitely played its part over the years in bringing people together in one place to help, inspire and educate one another and turn what can be a more than enjoyable solo hobby into one that’s much more community based. Who knows where would be as individual collectors if we didn’t have such a place to frequent.

3 Likes

I joined UPCCC in 2014 when I was still in high school after discovering Pokemon at the fresh age of 5; it’s been an incredible repository of information and site for community building, since I didn’t have many other Pokemon-obsessed friends growing up. Thank you, Scott, and everyone else for your contributions, guides, and meme threads over the years. This hobby has been an inarguably positive presence in my life, and you all are to credit for that!

2 Likes

Absolutely! I’m prettty sure I wouldn’t have sunk thousands of my hard earned money and hundreds of hours of my valuable lifetime into cardboard if it wasn’t for your YT channel and especially e4! So thank you Scott (and all the mods!), I guess. :wink:

3 Likes

@smpratte, congrats, and sweet post, Scott! Looking forward to the next chapter of this hobby:)

2 Likes

Just wanted to leave a comment on this 10,000th post thread.:grin:

3 Likes

Making your next post is gonna be hard I bet, that number is so perfect lol

3 Likes

What did you guys who were here 10 years ago think of the future of PTCG?

3 Likes

god the master scroll is so beautiful

4 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thanks for all you’ve done!

2 Likes

Congrats! On average 2.74 posts a day…not bad going.

Wonder where the hobby will be 10 years from now?

3 Likes

10/10 post Scott - thanks for all you do.

2 Likes

It has been fun, so don’t let the ride end, Keep doing what you love brother!

2 Likes

Keep up the good work! This forum has been an amazing collecting resource and there is always great discussion to be had on here.

2 Likes

Great post. Dont mean to suck up but I really appreciate your channel and e4. I’ve always had passion for pokemon and especially finding your youtube channel in 2019 and e4 has made the hobby even more enjoyable for me. Congrats no the 10 years and 10k, cant wait to be here 10 years later!

6 Likes

This might be my favorite post ive seen here in a while. Im so grateful to have found this forum, and equally as grateful to now have you and everyone here as friends.

To many more years and posts (or as long as proboards will last and be tolerated haha).

Thanks for all you do Scott (and mods). :blush:

3 Likes