Worth grading German Cards at BGS? (Since PSA doesn't grade)

This is why I like collecting. It’s like entrepreneurship.

There are many people who will laugh, scoff and say how silly an idea is. There will be many doors slammed in their faces…

Yet when new information comes out that someone else is interested, everyone goes “OMG!”

I said it before and I’ll say it again. PSA needs to start grading foreign cards. I think they stopped because sometimes it might be hard for an average grader to know the precise language of a card, etc.

2 Likes

If I were selling I’d go with grade just the crystal cards. Not the reverse crystal either

I understand that. But this problem can easily be solved by making a simple piece of paper with a table of the translations of “HP”:
German: KP
Dutch: IP
Spanish: PI
Portuguese: PS
French/Italian: PV
unfortunately French and Italian cards both have “PV”

1 Like

This only applies to the earlier sets. The Italian, Spanish and Portuguese seems to be mixing it up sometimes…

To give some examples:
Base Set: Italian/French = PV, Spanish = PI; Portuguese = PS
HeartGold & SoulSilver: French/Italian/Spanish = PV; Portuguese = PS
XY: French = PV; Italian/Spanish/Portuguese = PS
etc.

Greetz,
Quuador

omg :laughing:
then only German cards, lol. they’ve stuck to KP

Hehe, yep, only German kept KP in all sets, and is the only one with KP. Oh, and IP with Dutch too, but there aren’t that many Dutch cards (only the Base, Jungle and Fossil sets, and some promos).

I personally usually look in the attack descriptions. 9/10 times one of the attacks mentions “Flip a coin.”, which is “Wirf einen Münze.” in German; “Lancez une pièce.” in French; “Lancia una moneta.” in Italian; “Lanza una moneda.” in Spanish; “Lance uma moeda.” in Portuguese. And the other languages (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Dutch, Russian, Polish) are very easy to distinguish from one-another. And when they don’t mention “Flip a coin” I just type the entire attack in translate.google.com/ with the Detect Language feature. :laughing:

But to get back to topic, I agree. I never understand why PSA doesn’t grade foreign cards to begin with, even though they made an exception for the Base Set… :confounded:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Any native Spanish speaker can easily distinguish between Spanish, Italian, French and Portuguese. So it wouldn’t be very hard for PSA to get someone that has Spanish as mother tongue

That’s probably not the issue.
It’s the issue of having 20+ sets coming open for grading in 8 different languages if PSA opens up grading for non-Base set foreign prints.