Will card restoration ever be a thing?

With the pricegap between PSA 9 and PSA 10 becoming bigger over time, won’t professional card restoration not become a real problem for the industrie?

Sure, the average hobbyist won’t be able to pull something off like that easly, especially surface damage on hoils seems hard, or centering. But what about professionals with real equipment? In theory it should be possible for them to buy out all the psa 9 cards with whitning/border damage etc and restore the cards to their former glory, right? When speculators are right and pokemon cards will keep on increasing in value, its only a matter of time these card restoration businesses will pop up.

What do you guys think?

You mean sports cards that push multi million $ sales aren’t lucrative to already entice people to do this?

The answer is we do have people that do these things, but we have many ways of telling if people do these things. People trim cards and you can measure them, people color restore cards and you can detect it, people can flaten creases and believe it or not there’s ways to see that too.

It’s not as prevelant in Pokemon because Pokemon doesn’t have too many cards that reach super high values with altering (the correct term by the way) techniques. The more professional grading is being done the less likely this will occur because most professional graders will catch most mistakes. This isn’t to say they won’t miss some but with more people pointing the mistakes out the more likely they are to add it to the arsenal of things to look for (fake stamps).

1 Like

I’m more worried about perfect fake cards or perfect 1st ed stamps than the idea that a card can even be restored. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I just don’t see it.

What are they going to do? Find a way to attach a tiny piece of blue cardboard to the back of a card? Or cut a card and frame it on a perfectly centered border? This would already be a thing on high dollar sports cards, comics,etc… where 1 grade up can mean 6-7 figures difference.

We have seen damaged cards being rated as PSA 10’s already. I refuse to believe a professional restored card will always be caught by PSA.

The sportscard argument is a good one but as far as I know its not about PSA 9 vs PSA 10. And the scary part is we can’t be a 100% sure if its not already happening.

The best argument I can come up with why card restoration won’t never be a thing, is that buying the old wotc printing presses will turn out to be cheaper in the long run.

What’s the point of this thread? You asked if alteration is going to be a problem. I explained that there’s methods to find out if they’ve been altered. Now you want to say that mistakes can be made, yeah sure they can. Now what’s your point and if you have one what’s the solution?

Do you want to sit in a corner and worry cards being altered? Do you want to never buy a card again? I promise you’re never going to buy an altered card if you don’t buy any cards. Is that a good solution for you?

Seriously, what is the point of these doom and gloom threads?

9 Likes

You can’t be 100% sure we landed on the moon in 1969 either. You can’t be 100% sure that Scott isn’t a robot. You can’t be 100% sure that the pre Raichu is a myth. You can’t even be 100% positive that I have the best Charizard collection in the world.

That’s what feeds conspiracy theorists.

So you can relax brother. Your 10s are as sure as possible, legit.

9 Likes

Just look at whatever problems you have in sports cards, pokemon will no doubt see the same issues as cards become more lucrative. I think card trimming is a particularly pressing issue in sports cards.

One major difference between sports and Pokemon is that sports cards had 100 years of maturation before PSA was founded. The neat thing about PSA cards that isn’t often considered is that the certificate number is chronologically sequential. The case acts as a time capsule and the date of grading is coorelated with the cert number.

So if your future comes to light and people start cracking 8’s and 9’s to alter them, collectors will just buy cards with low cert numbers (and/or old cases) since they are from a time where alterations weren’t a common practice.

Asking for opinions and how people think about stuff obviously. I’m 100% positive that someone that has purchased a PSA 10 would think the cards would always be authentic and unique, otherwise he wouldn’t simply bought it.

But why are you so agressive towards me? Being sceptical about cards that cost 4 to 5 figures should be considered normal.

A great start would be to not being offended when someone has its doubts about the authentency and safety of the purchased cards. Nobody on this planet knows everything and can predict the future. You don’t deserve to have this elitist attitude towards me.

Some silly people used to say crazy things like the earth was a globe. Even though the smartest people at that time said the earth was flat. Conspiracys challenges us to be sceptic towards things. The only thing we can be sure of is that one day there are going to be fake PSA graded cards as time will go on forever.

The thing about most conspiracys is that they don’t affect me and I can debunk most of them with logic. If i’m going to sell a PSA 10 and the buyer has a question about why a PSA 9 couldn’t become a PSA 10. I need the best arguments I can come up with in order to sweeten up the deal. I’m just trying to learn more about the hobby, thats all. No reason to charge me with blasphemy.

8 Likes

I gave you some facts about the situation. You brought my facts down with a copout excuse of ‘people make mistakes’. That’s not a conversation and that’s not how you encourage ideas. In fact it’s the exact opposite, it’s hindering knowlege because you’re hiding behind impossible standards, because guess what people are in charge of the world and we’re great at making mistakes.

My ‘hostility’ and ‘agressivness’ as people like to call it is simply the experience of something call the backfire effect. It’s nothing personal and if you have an emotional response to my answers it’s a reflection on you not me.

What doubt of authentecity are you talking about? What examples? What card? What in the op cost 4 to 5 figures? Are you saying that all 1st edition charizard psa 10s aren’t authentic? Are you saying that trophy cards are altered? How am I elitist, because I don’t know what you’re goal is? Seriously, what the hell is the thread about?

Debate

Alright, go sit in the corner and debate with yourself. If someone walk by and ask what you’re doing and you can respond, “I’m becoming a master debater”.

1 Like

Don’t have to. Plenty of people already responded in my thread.

1 Like

Even though its a great joke I feel like it’s wasted on someone who doesn’t know all the nuances of the English language.

I don’t know their background, and didn’t see any signs they wouldn’t understand.

It can be hard in a multi national forum like we have, I believe OP is from Europe.

Maybe Europeans have a better taste in humor?

1 Like