Update on PSA issue from earlier in the year

I wanted to post an update on a subject that I posted here some months ago.

www.elitefourum.com/t/psa-damaged-my-card-how-do-i-navigate-through-this/19492/1

That thread was locked due to the discussion turning into more of a cracking vs review debate. I posted that thread seeking guidance with dealing with PSA when I was sure they were at fault either for damaging the card or grossly mis-grading. This follow up thread is not meant to re-spark a debate. The purpose of this thread is to follow up on PSA’s handling of the issue and the card’s current grade.

I contacted PSA via e-mail about the issue. I received the PSA 5 Zard and it showed no signs of damage. PSA and I were in contact for a couple of days which boiled down to me saying they messed up and them saying I didn’t know what I was talking. It became obvious that they weren’t going to make it up to me in any way, shape, or form. I tried to climb the ladder to someone who would at the very least be willing to give me a free review. It was never about the money, it was more about the principal. Out of the 700 or so cards graded I had never had one graded so badly. Customer service was unwilling to do anything. I’m not the yelling and profane type on the phone, I was just adamant that I wanted something done. I basically refused to let them get me off the phone until something got done. My persistence was an obvious irritation for all who dealt with me. My couple of hours spent on the phone got me this lovely piece of mail: imgur.com/a/5txjiiW

Filed a complaint with BBB and just moved on. I left the PSA 5 in my collection and forgot about it due to me moving, having a baby soon, school, work, etc… In late June I was shuffling through the last couple boxes that my fiancée and I hadn’t unpacked yet and found the Zard. I recalled a couple members in the original thread saying I should send to BGS since my experience with PSA had ended the way it did. I cracked Zard out and sent it in. Here it is now: imgur.com/a/gYqUjun :blush:.

I think this grade is undoubtably confirmation that PSA made a huge mistake on my card, WHICH HAPPENS. I don’t expect them to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. What I expected was to be treated as a valued customer. PSA did not own up to a mistake (or at the very least humored me), they doubled down on it when confronted. Then to add to it, they took away my ability to submit to them because I wouldn’t lay down and accept it. This Charizard went from a PSA 9 to a PSA 5 to a BGS 9.5 Gold Label, I’ll let others judge that one. I still see the occasional post about a PSA mess up. The only thing I would like to see this post do, not just regarding PSA, is to let users judge each incident on a case by case basis instead of completely dismissing what someone has to say. I was guilty of thinking that individuals who came with PSA issues were just upset because of they didn’t get a 10, weren’t realistic with their cards condition, didn’t know the grading scale that well, whatever. In my four years of using PSA, I hadn’t had an issue related to a cards grade until this point. It happened it me, I’m just happy it didn’t cost me a lot of money when it happened.

7 Likes

While I don’t really agree with being so persistent about a poor grade considering you signed a contract, that’s pretty crazy that as a complaining customer caused them to cease business with you.

I’d like to hear their side of that two hour phone call. Either you weren’t as pleasant as you thought you were or they felt you are more of a waste of time than is worth keeping as a customer, which would be surprising tbh.

3 Likes

I appreciate the follow up story. But it only reaffirms what everyone already knew. PSA is a gong show sometimes, but it’s still the preferred grading service for this hobby.

Personally myself if I felt that strongly about it I would’ve just cracked and resubmitted. Companies seldom admit fault and it’s simply not worth the time. At the end of the day you just made life a bit harder to submit to PSA, which takes some enjoyment out of the hobby.

It does reaffirm that PSA isnt infallable but it also puts to question the fact that PSA’s customer service can be obtuse and leads to people feeling helpless and cracking a card they might be absolutely correct about needing to be reviewed. Expecting everyone to just shrug and crack only means a lower standard of grading and accountability at a time when they are raising their prices. If anything, I think this post is a testament that not all people who complain about PSA or a grade are as batshit insane as a lot of e4 reactions would lead you to believe on first read. The problem is that if PSA started reviewing every card over every time someone found an issue, theyd never get anything done. That said, if you pay for a review or regrade and the difference is some insaneo shit like a 5 going to a 9 or 9.5, they should have a little professional courtesy and retroactively waive the second grading fee. Thats all im gonna say before this turns into what every psa discussion turns into, some insult hurling shitshow. :grin:

3 Likes

When it comes to grading ya just gotta let them do there job and when it returns it returns. While it would be extremely unprofessional, calling and complaining before it was graded might have had some effect. No way to say for sure, but if you want your card graded true then give the grade overlords all the time they ask.

Moral of the story: Don’t crack PSA cases.

6 Likes

I wasn’t pleasant or rude, just firm. I just combed through the e-mails that I exchanged with a supervisor and the only thing I said, after I received the ban, was “PSA is a joke”.

I didn’t really make it harder, I could create a new account under my fiancee’s name and be off to the races. I won’t do that though, I don’t want to do business with a place that doesn’t want my business. I did crack and resubmit, that wasn’t really the issue to begin with. My issue was they graded a mint card a 5 for nothing. The first PSA grader didn’t find damage, I didn’t find damage, BGS didn’t find damage. The card is a GEM.

It’s all about the way we handle ourselves.

We are all the protagonists in our own story, so often we paint our own version of events in a very rosy light.

I don’t know the ins and outs enough to make comment, but to be banned from PSA is a serious action they’ve taken, it’s a terminal relationship action that would only happen if PSA thought that was their only option. I’m quite surprised by it actually.

4 Likes

Did you tell PSA that you cracked the card from a case?

I think I included it in the BBB complaint after the ban, I don’t think I went into that detail with their customer service beforehand. I don’t feel like the cracking of the case is/was important to this situation. I sent a GEM in and it was graded a 5. I, already being unhappy with multiple orders going well outside their ETA, called and stated both of these issues needed to be handled. Some sort of voucher, which I was told would be granted and never was, and a fair regrade on my Zard. I shouldn’t have to pay for a review when the grade is a joke. Part of me feels like they misgraded to spite me for requesting a voucher for ETA’s not being anywhere close to what was paid for. It is hard for me to find any rhyme or reason for the entire thing, honestly.

You must of really pissed them off for them to cancel your membership like that lol. Sad that it happened at all though.

At least at the end of the day you got a grade that you think your card fairly deserved.

1 Like

Honestly I think PSA handled this very poorly and could have done a much better job. It’s not like he was asking for a whole submission to be reviewed because all the cards were misgraded. It was 1 instance which they should have just said, “okay we’ll take another look at the card as a favour on us, if it receives a different grade we’ll cover the cost as it was our mistake, if we think it deserves the grade it received in the first place you will have to cover the review cost.” Even if they did that it would be fair for both parties, and it didn’t take a seasoned veteran customer service rep to figure that out lol.

3 Likes

Not important but it was relevant. Ultimately you paid for an objective opinion. The card was subject to two objective opinions, both whom agreed. Outside of that it’s not objective anymore. So on the CS side I’d contend that they did all they could to fulfill their obligations. Although it’s unfortunate that the grade was so low for you.

I’m glad it all came to a satisfactory end for you either way. BGS is the second best grading company for Pokemon.

Did you see the damage PSA was referring to when you cracked it for a second time to send to Beckett’s?

I’m shocked you got banned though if events occurred as stated. You did say you BBB’d them AFTER being banned?

I loved this line by Chris:
“Expecting everyone to just shrug and crack only means a lower standard of grading and accountability.”
As does banning customers…

2 Likes

When I cracked the 5 I examined the card. PSA stated that the grade was due to a warp. I went over the card extensively before sending to BGS. I did not see any damage at all. The only thing that prevented this from having an even higher grade was the centering, something I pointed out in my original post back in February.

I tried to log into BBB to see when I filed it but I cannot find it. Pretty sure I filed after getting the ban in the mail. I remember talking to a customer service rep and I said; “Are you guys really going to make me take this to the BBB or the Dep of consumer affairs of CA”. I wasn’t using it as a threat, I was just pleading to try to get something done. I gave them every opportunity to do ANYTHING for me when I felt wronged and they did nothing. I felt that was really the only thing I could do after they shut me down at every turn. They promised me vouchers for the ETA which I never got, then the issue with the grade… The combination of both of these happening at the same time is what made me push as hard as did. I was very persistent that I wanted something done.

So basically, it was probably a typo if there was no corner warp at all.
If you filed the BBB report prior to the banning then it makes sense. If you filed after the banning then it’s something else.

Just fyi any time legal action is ever mentioned over the phone to customer service for any company they will cease communication and business. Its pretty standard stuff, usually they will tell you to have your legal counsel speak with theirs.

1 Like

So you’re saying the time timing of the complaint determined the ban? That is really odd. I’ve used BBB in the past to get past low level supervisors from Geico and AT&T and it has positively affected my experience with the business. I am still a Geico and AT&T customer because of it!

BBB isn’t legal action.

The Dep of Consumer Affairs for CA place is as follows: “The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is a department within the California Business, Consumer Services, and Housing Agency. DCA’s stated mission is to serve the interests of California’s consumers by ensuring a standard of professionalism in key industries and promoting informed consumer practices”.

I didn’t view either of those entities as taking legal action.