Unlimited price boom?

Why is there such a price boom for unlimited cards? I mean,I get a ride in value overtime. I always figured pokemon cards would be worth some money down the line, but lately the value of cards have gone up HUNDREDS of percents in like the last 3 weeks. I get the first edition cards going up in stock, but the unlimited is a little perplexing. I mean, unlimited cards are not rare in ANY sense. For instance: a loose Dark Charizard card is going for hundreds of dollars more than it did last month. If you look at the psa population reports for high grades, there are literally THOUSANDS of that card with high grades. If it’s not rare, why is everyone shelling out so much money? Do u think this will stop, or are these prices here to stay forever? My dad is a comic book collector, and I’ve always learned that the name of the game is how rare something is. That’s why I’m confused.

People get priced out of higher grades or first edition all together, they go to the next best thing, unlimited. The demand is high enough to result in the boom. And past unlimited, the reprints, evolutions and cp6 are the next next step down have also more than doubled in price, at least for sealed product.

2 Likes

Demand high, other stuff expensive, go with cheap that looks almost identical.

2 Likes

hype hype hype hype hype and then being priced out and looking for the next best thing, being unlimited

There’s no doubt that the demand is high right now. Pokemon cards are definitely in a bull market at the moment. The thing I question is the continuity of such a market. I know with Logan Paul’s opening there’s a lot of hype in the hobby right now. Once the hype dies down a little bit I just wonder if this type of demand will keep up once the pandemic ends and people aren’t at home as much as they are now.

Who knows. People were predicting some retracing after the lock down spikes cool down but then logan and other big names hyped everything and everything just starting shooting up again. As far as long term, no one knows because there are so many outside influences that can change everything.

People were wondering how pokemon would do in the years to come a few years ago and nobody could have predicted a global pandemic that would actually explode the hobby. All I can say is as far as this very quick spikes throughout the years we’ve gotten, 2016 pokemon go, 2020 pandemic and logan, is that prices never seem to go back to what they were before.

1 Like

Pandemic ends? hhaha you fool. I’ve been stacking bottlecaps for 3 months now. Next year I will buy all your pokemon cards. noobs

2 Likes

Hype + uneducated buyers + unprecedented grading backlog + covid boredom + higher income buyers + massive temporary spotlight = crazy price gains sometime irrationally.

Don’t expect a crash in high grade 1st edition WOTC or sealed product or even high grade low pop post WOTC chase cards. 1st base is probably safe in nearly any grades as far as holos go, non holos a bit more iffy.

Unlimited/evo/random $1-$5 raw cards going for 3-4 figures plus will likely not last as people’s attention turn back to their jobs and normal lives and as their discretionary income can be used again at sporting events, vacations, the bar, and other misc things affected by the pandemic.

The pandemic is likely to linger through most of 2021 so we could very well have a 2x to 5x more to go on some of these things and maybe the “correction” will only be 20-50% on some of these things. If we 2x+ over the next year then have a < 50% correction then you wouldn’t ever see prices lower than today. Nobody knows where we are headed but I’m placing some long term bets like many others.

8 Likes

That’s a great analysis. I too am thinking of how the hobby was never the same after 2016. The next couple years should be interesting. Thanks for the thoughtful responses!

Wow. I couldn’t have said it better myself, and you are absolutely right on this. That kinda combination would cause the cost of ANYTHING to skyrocket. Bravo, good sir.

@fabledcardstock, Please read the rules and pinned posts before posting a thread.

www.elitefourum.com/t/before-you-post-a-thread-in-price-and-market-discussion/29138/1