The Last Word In Card Safety & Storage...Maybe;)

Really?

I thought double sleeving + hard sleeve was the best way to protect cards from air and moisture?

What’s the name of the binder it was in?

Is there any benefit of not using a sleeve? in the vintage sports cards world this is sometimes done.

I’ve even seen box breaks sponsored by PSA done this way. You’d think PSA would tell them to use sleeves.

(this was on standard cards not odd sized ones).

The reason I like using sleeves is that it makes it easier to insert into card savers.

@ozenigma That’s a really good idea! Do you have a link to that box?

1 Like

Unless you live in Atlantis, a double sleeve does nothing for a card inside a card saver. In fact, it may hurt because of the excessive handling with one sleeve having to be tighter so more careful handling would be needed not to ding the card.

1 Like

never underatood double sleeving. i get upside down sleeving then cardsaver. but double is just silly it warps the card from the forced pressure.

ultra pro pro binder (also I should clarify I’m obv joking about the tape)

Although I never used one myself, Card savers look so flimsy/prone to bending…

Are they really that much better than regular top loaders?

No link, because I’m based in Australia and likely you aren’t. Product info though for you;

Product Dimensions (mm)
270W x 350D x 95H mm

Hope that helps! The place these are purchased from is an office supplier. I’ve also seen these sold at Fishing/Camping Stores and general large shops (equivalent of Walmart etc).

I’ve noticed the guy that runs the mtg channel openboosters never sleeves his cards when putting them in savers even with really expensive cards. He just puts them in the cardsaver as they are but I think that with Pokemon cards because of the majority of gradeable cards are holo that the sleeve is more necessary.

@ozenigma,
Thank you very much! I’ll see what I can find here in the states that is similar to it!

1 Like

How do you prevent dust from getting into Card savers?

Apologies in advance for the long post:

Hi Gary and all, been wondering about card care for a while, specifically slabbed cards. I keep all of my PSA graded cards in a fairly snug sleeve, and purchased two great storage boxes for them (not a plug, but I love the LIONgoods boxes).

I saw a post on efour a while ago about someone who experienced what appeared to be mould growing on the card, which was inside a fully closed PSA case and had damaged the card. It was worrying to think that a slabbed card could be susceptible to mould, and potential reasons were bandied about, such as tropical surroundings. As I live in a tropical country, I thought I would take this issue seriously and see what I could do to avoid this situation. I believe someone also suggested getting a UV light to try and kill off the mould. So to combat moisture in the air, I picked up some silica packs and dotted them around the storage boxes and also purchased a UV light to scan over the surface of all of my graded cards. I then saw something that suggested that sunlight/UV light exposure might actually damage cards.

I was going to sit down over the weekend and “scan” all of my graded cards with the UV light, but now I’m having second thoughts :sweat_smile: Does anyone in the community have any experience with any of the above, or tips on what the best way to proceed with graded card care is? Very much appreciated!

You can leave the slabs for 5 minutes by the window on a sunny day and it will be enough to kill any mold. The damage it will produce on the card is nothing

2 Likes

Good tip…if true:)

1 Like

Right, I’ll give that a try! Many thanks :blush:

Limited exposure to light is fine. The thing with mold is you have to eliminate the source of it, generally that’s moisture. If you had excessive mold growth you could go as far as leaving your cards in a hot car on sunny day and it should be okay.

This sounds safer…

I’m italian too and I’ve never had problems getting card savers… the ultra pros often pop up on ebay from german sellers, just save them on your research and wait :wink:

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ve found the cheapest source of binders known to man…Goodwill! My local goodwill had STACKS of binders ranging from $.25-2 depending on some arbitrary pricing model. I snagged 4 Heavy Duty 2" binders for like $6. I know most everyone prefers the binders with the built in pages, but I’ve never had an issue as long as you’re careful with how you close them.