that eBay PWCC alpha black lotus BGS 9.5

With 9 days to go, the Lotus has hit $100k already, with about 5 or 6 people bidding at $100k.

This is craaazy. I don’t know much about the community of Magic, but it seems that Magic is having an upswing in recent months. Many older cards got some big price bumps in 2018. new products are actually flying off the shelf, and newer sets have been increasing in prices like never before. Rudy from Alpha Investments is going tacos on Youtube.

Anyone got some insight on any of this? Is this partly due to the Magic Arena movement, new players, or just good business strategy from Magic?

www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Magic-The-Gathering-MTG-Alpha-Black-Lotus-R-A-BGS-9-5-GEM-MINT-PWCC/143136537077

2 Likes

More crazy I think is Tom Brady BGS 9 Rookie card at 200k. Before the super bowl, a PSA 10 went for 110k.

A lot of people think this one has potential to bump to a quad because of the 9 centering, there’s another basic 9.5 available at the moment for 150k or so and the 9 subgrade is for surface and it does not have upgrade potential. This one will probably finish between 120-150k, current price isn’t very surprising I know a few people prior to auction who were bidding at minimum 100k on it.

High grade older cards have been on a massive bull run for about 2 years now, more collectors have entered the market and people have realised, especially for alpha, that there isn’t enough supply to satisfy demand. Whatever this one finishes at will probably be a bargain in a few years.

5 Likes

yeah, i remember i was considering buying a t brady card last year…i guess i was one of the patriot doubters in the beginning…

i think rob gronkowski bought that 200k card.

1 Like

i hope rudy from alpha investment buys that card. he should have the capital also. i know he likes to collect psa 10 magic cards, but this is a beautiful black lotus…

Believe it or not, I saw a brett favre 1991 wild card 1000 stripe going for a cool $1,000,000 on ebay. It is a buy it now! You also get the 100 stripe and 50 stripe and 10 stripe with it. But still, a million! That seems a little extreme.

Also saw a pwcc 1997 metal universe michael jordan precious metal green just go for over 150k couple days ago. Jordan fans dont pull any punches when it comes to his cards.

1 Like

I think the brett favre 1991 wild card 1000 stripe is still on ebay.

@huckleberry,

Why not just combine all 3 posts into one post? Working on increasing your post count?

2 Likes

Im new and do not know how to combine.

Not working to increase post count.

You should try not to post consecutive messages that don’t add anything to the discussion. Also try to avoid posting multiple messages in the span of less than 5 minutes. This comes across as spam more than anything.

The huge jump in vintage and modern prices in early 2018 was mostly due to large stores like starcity raising buylist prices. I think that those larger companies saw the potential after witnessing reserved list buyouts and thought it would be stupid to not get in on the action of playing the market. They absorbed the market to a certain price point per card and then lowered buylist prices back down. If you had hundreds of thousands to spend why would you not buy out modern and legacy staples to raise prices and then just resale them at the inflated price? It’s literally free money to them. And this is why I will never personally invest in MTG other than casually playing with friends. Value fueled by playability of the card is insanely more volatile than value of nostalgia and scarcity like pokemon.

Vintage MTG is so “positively volatile?” (Cant think of a better term) because it’s so small and rare. There were only 900 of each alpha rare printed? That’s insanely low and anyone can easily acquire 10% of the entire market for a specific card if they have the money and time. Alpha is so iconic now that I honestly don’t think that we will ever see a new sale that was cheaper than the last. I remember in 2012, there was a BGS 9.5 alpha lotus that sat on ebay FOREVER at 100k OBO and everyone laughed at it lol well… here we are.