Thane's Collection - 1st edition base set update

Hey E4, I figured I’d make a post on here to join the ranks of all the awesome collections I’ve seen so far :blush: feel free to skip my introduction and check out the cards below. Wall of text incoming:

First, a little background about my collecting history. Like most of us here, I’ve been collecting since I was a young kid. I was born in 1996 so some of my earliest memories were organizing my WotC cards on my living room floor; born too late to fully appreciate Base Set but not too late for the rest of the era. I used to open packs with my little brother and try and get every Pokemon for our Pokedex binders. I continued playing the games into my adult life but stopped messing with the cards somewhere around 2007.

In late 2016, I was at Wal-Mart buying stuff for my first apartment when I stumbled upon the Pokemon card aisle. I bought a Mega Mawile EX box and all the memories came rushing back as soon as I opened those packs. I went to the Evolutions prerelease at my local card shop and it was all over from there. I decided to reignite my goal of finishing a Pokedex binder, which was only the beginning of my adult collecting journey. My first big purchase was a Reddit binder collection which had the original 151 Pokemon (with every holo card!) from Base, Jungle and Fossil, as well as a 51/53 near complete WotC promo set. I paid $250 for it, which seemed like a lot at the time and now seems like highway robbery in 2020. With that goal knocked out, I decided to go big and set my sights on complete sets of every set I grew up with and landed on 1st Edition Base Set through Call of Legends as my timeline. Basically I went on Pokellector and Bulbapedia and mapped out every set and promo that was included in these eras.

Today I completed the Nintendo Era Black Star Promos and no other set has been this rewarding to complete. I haven’t seen a complete set anywhere else so I’ve decided to start with mine here as an intro to the rest of my collection post. Note that I only sought out unstamped examples of the Worlds cards as tracking down every version would be very time consuming and expensive. It’s not a master set by any means. Let me know what you think!

16 Likes

Amazing! I really love the Nintendo Black Star Promos! I really want to collect the full set myself too, I’m only missing a few cards though Championship Arena is kinda off my price range…

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah I was a little disappointed when I realized the price of some of the set cards I’d decided I wanted but at that point I was already committed lol. A PSA 5 just went on PWCC for around 850 which is half the price of the ones that are usually listed, if that helps.

2 Likes

I definitely like that Arena

1 Like

Completed my EX TRR Reverse Holo set today in addition to my nonholo set, making it a master set. Everything is mint except for the Treecko which I meant to upgrade but I’m not sure if I will now. This is one of my all time favorite and most nostalgic sets so I hope you all can enjoy it with me as well :blush:

12 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with TRR being of the most nostalgic sets for me personally. Those cards look amazing everytime I see them. Great collection :blush:

2 Likes

@thane Sick collection man! I love ex Team Rocket Returns. That’s one of only a few sets I don’t have many cards from but looking forward to collecting in the future. Great story too by the way! What’s your next collection goal?

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words! I’m also looking forward to your progress. Currently I’m working on collecting reverse holo sets of EX Ruby & Sapphire through Power Keepers but it’s been a very tedious process.

1 Like

@thane Thank you as well! Also I love the avatar pic! Ya reverses from any ex era set seems like a tough goal. Also when ordering online from sites like tcgplayer they tend to “accidently” send the non Holo version or other errors like that. Some somewhat niche goals are hard to do but well worth the effort!

1 Like

@thane, Beautiful set, one of my personal favorites as well. I noticed that you have a misprint Scyther ex with an ink blot. I had the same card with the same ink error but I sold it (to someone in Australia?) several years ago. Do you remember where you bought that card or when you got it? I’m curious if it is the same copy or if this is a common error with multiple copies that I didn’t know of previously!

2 Likes

That’s interesting, I’ve always wondered if there were others like mine. I got it from a local seller who threw it in with another purchase I made back in either late 2016 or early 2017, who was also very active on eBay. I’m in the US but I guess it’s possible it made a trip around the world haha.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I’ve never seen your collection before! That EX Team Rocket Returns set is gorgeous!

2 Likes

Ah so you’re someone I’ve been competing with trying to grab some mint TRR Rev. Holos. Seriously though, congrats my dude! That’s a great collection accomplishment for a unique set.

2 Likes

Congrats! One of the best EX-era sets

2 Likes

Amazing! I’m not too far away on my TRR set. Congrats. Did you know there is a dark houndoom pre release card, if your going for a master?

1 Like

I finally completed a milestone that’s been four years in the making for me, 1st edition Base Set. The last card I needed came in today, Super Energy Removal. The average overall condition set is about a PSA 6; most cards have a very clean surface and good centering with some whitening on the back. Very pleased to own this historic set!

I will also include pictures of my shadowless set in a separate post since it’s in the same binder. Unlimited is boring but it’s in there too. Enjoy!

18 Likes

@thane O wow! That’s quite the impressive accomplishment my friend!

1 Like

Congrats @thane, Nice work mate :blush:

1 Like

Wow, just the best set to complete. big congratz mate.

1 Like