TCG price increases from Scarlet & Violet onwards

Do you know the odds at present though?

Saying 2-3 booster boxes to me sounds like you don’t.

It’s 49 boxes, if you pull perfectly, to get all the rainbow rare cards in Evolving Skies.

Pokemon likes to pretend that they are making these cards for kids, so those odds marketed towards children is to me blatantly manipulative.

Yeah I knew the Moonbreon odds.

I mentioned 2-3 booster boxes in reference to the Base Zard “almost guaranteed” pull rates as an example, because I get the impression that some people wish pull rates were back to that level.

I may be in the extreme minority here, but it wouldn’t bother me even if there was a card with a 1 in 10,000 booster box pull rate. At least then we’d actually have a set card with true rarity.

I just don’t think every card needs to be reasonably obtainable from a booster pack, regardless of who the product is marketed to. The rarest cards are alternate arts, meant for collectors. For players none of these hard to pull cards are actually needed.

It’s a balance isn’t it? Who it is marketed to matters because if there was truly a card that you described, Pokemon could probably not get away with what it is doing at the moment. Magic probably can because its players are all older.

If we admit that opening packs is gambling, then it’s the same logic for children. And adding that egregious example would perhaps make them a bigger target for lawsuits. Even now, I wonder how they get away without printing odds.

In what world is this a legitimate lawsuit?

Opening booster packs is not equivalent to gambling. The buyer gets a product for opening the pack (i.e., cards) and the seller receives a payment. If the buyer doesn’t get the specific card that they want, then that’s just too bad. Having low printing odds for desirable cards is not illegal.

7 Likes

Love Danny’s content!

1 Like

Ehhh, the quality of cards has dipped periodically over the years. Modern card stock is no where near the quality WotC used, so it makes sense that prices haven’t increased 1:1 with inflation.

I don’t think anyone is saying product prices shouldn’t increase, just that inflation sucks and wages remain stagnant while prices of necessities and luxuries continue to increase.

Tagging on to Dyl, @bk2021 , on a practical standpoint, booster packs, and random cards distribution is the only viable way to release a set of cards. If PkMn were to sell cards individually, They could not make it financially feasable to print the number needed, and also not overprint, so there would be far more waste, or far less supply. This might not make it worse for players/collectors, but it would certainly create a loss of business.

Now, considering what you said, @bk2021, Booster packs are physical things with cards which are priced according to what the buyer receives. BUT WotC, is presently making collectors booster packs for Magic the Gathering, which are many times the cost of normal boosters, contain nearly ZERO added physical content, very much un-like what PkMn does and especially not with normal packs. (WotC also no longer provides a MSRP - Sketchy? Yes! And I think this would have far more merit for a lawsuit.)

How is it different from a loot box?

It isn’t and it really shouldn’t be controversial to anyone.