Target testing card game shops/Local card shop question

This is an interesting concept and it got me thinking. Like many of you, I grew up with local comic shops. Over the years I’ve gone in and out of pokemon, comics, and MTG. I’ve noticed the decline of shops in my area, and the overall quality of collectibles. Not every place can be a DA cardworld or Warlords Den (this place was a goldmine for me for sealed boxes in 2014 & 15). We have ebay, IG, yahooauction and other digital formats for buying cards so I don’t see many LGS’s coming out of this pandemic. Our very own rusty started up his own shop and I’m not sure the reason it didn’t last/he shut it down. The questions I have are: what do you think of the current LGS and do you have any near you that you visit? Do you think this hobby needs LGS for it to grow like it did in 1999? Would anyone go to Target if they offered exclusives?

There is a LGS near where I live that I went into exactly one time. It had 99.9% MTG products and the 15 people in there (could not tell who was an employee and who was a customer) ignored me completely. To be honest, the stench of body odor was so bad I left after 2 minutes.

I have no need for a LGS because there would be no way for it to contain the section of vintage product I’m interested in compared to eBay. If I’m ever interested in a card from a modern set, I order it for $3 online and thats the end of it.

1 Like