Storing valuable cards

Do any of you have safe deposit boxes at the bank for some of your collection? If so what are some things to look out for and ask?

1 Like

I’ve heard people talk about fire and water proofing. I also heard people suggest temp and humidity control for safe deposit boxes at banks. If you are below a certain value then you can get a lock box that’s everything proof etc etc for your house. If above, then the safe deposit box at a bank. I think @smpratte said something like above 10k in the bank. For below the 1k or 2k value then it goes in a bcw box. Correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

That sounds about right. The one I’m getting at the bank is small. Maybe I can fit 10 cards in there. That’s really all I need though

1 Like

It is so cool that you have such valuable cards! :blush:

1 Like

Keep mine at home, insured, not in a safe. Like being able to quickly see them. Apartment building with 24 hour security. Collection value under $10k

2 Likes

I have heard storing them in climate-controlled secure self-storage facilities, fully insured, is a possible option!

1 Like

Recently I rented a safety deposit box at the bank. My collection was getting up there in value where I thought it was too risky keeping them at home. The SDB is big enough to hold three 1st ed boxes and about 30 PSA cards. I’m ok with the bank since the box is in the safe and the building is heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. I wasn’t too concerned with humidity.

You have to decide when you think your collection is worth extra protection based on where you live and how secure your place is. I wouldn’t tell too many people about your collection. Word gets around pretty quickly when you start bragging about how much certain cards are worth. A safe at home is only as secure as you make it. Can you put it in a secret place and bolt it to the wall or floor. A place that only you and one other trusted person knows. It’s a shame we have to do this when we work so hard to get these cards.

3 Likes

I wound up getting one the other day. Stored half of my collection in there. The valuable cards anyway. I live in a good neighborhood and there’s almost always someone home who can handle a weapon anyway. The thing I was worried about is water damage. I live right on the water and in the winter. It’s fine. But if there was a hurricane while I was away, there’s a small chance I’d flood.

Anyone got suggestions for nice high-end binders for storing your nicest cards? And do you store your binders in fire proof boxes / safe?

If you’re deciding between the main stream binders like Monster/Ultra Pro binders I would take the Ultra Pro binder everytime. I grew up using Monster binders, but after getting an ultra pro binder its no contest. The page sleeves fit the cards so much nicer and the binding is so built so much better.

1 Like

I have the extra large size safety deposit box at my bank and I highly recommend it. First you should realize that the contents in your safety deposit box are not insured by the FDIC, like your bank account is. I believe there are companies that will ensure your safety deposit box though. When I was looking for mine, I waited until one that was chest high off the ground was available. This way if the bank floods, you should be in good shape. My bank is climate controlled very well, moisture is not an issue for me. You might want to ask your bank some questions about how the heat and cool the building, if you are worried about climate control. To be extra cautious, you can always put silica desiccant packs in your safety deposit box to absorb any moisture. Thankfully safety deposit boxes are not airtight though so you should be good with or without those. I also recommend spreading out your collection and not keeping it all in one spot, just in case, you never know… Hope this helps