Lol it’s been over 2 years and the box is $100? If you ‘invested’ in a few Burning Shadows 2 years ago could have made like… $15 per box today after shipping and ebay fees? The most recent set (Team Up) seems to cost around $90 right now so it can barely compete with the newest product.
I bought 1 scream Mimikyu at 3x the lowest price it hit. If I wanted to flip it today I could make about the equivalent of 12-15 two year old Burning Shadows booster boxes. Even more if I graded it.
Naturally Burning Shadows will go up in price over time… but so will the price of bread.
Forreal. It’s one of a kind thing I feel like. I wouldn’t say it’s 1st edition base level, but it’s a very unique Charizard item. Only gonna go up long term. Thinking about opening a box or two myself.
There is not much to talk about for the sealed boxes of Burning Shadows, the set is still in print if I’m not mistaken. Anybody ‘investing’ in sealed booster boxes that are still in print is out of his/her mind. As far as the psa 10 rainbow charizard is concerned, I felt strongly that the $350-$400 price point back in January 2018 would not hold and it would become cheaper. I was wrong, they are now selling for $550+. I feel even stronger now that the price won’t hold at $550 and the card will be cheaper than that short to medium ish term (1-4 years from now). I could very well be wrong again, it will be interesting to see!
The 10s are only expensive because the raw card is expensive.
At the time of writing this there’s only 3 copies listed on ebay and it’s consistently selling for $600. This is a card with a pop of 600, a pop higher than the 9 grade pop and definitely a pop that’s going to grow over time. There’s plenty of Burning Shadows out there and plenty of people looking to open Burning Shadows.
I think this price point says more about the strength, or at the very least the current interest in the hobby rather than the long term price of PSA 10 Hyper Zard.
They will probably stay high but you can’t have that much growth with a pop of 600 copies. Once a new chase charizard is appears the demand will be for that card. People might just get sick of holding their copies and start unloading the card.
Just look at what has happened to all the Flashfire Charizards. They’ve all dropped with the Full Art going from $700 to $300. Flashfire boxes are valuable because they were printed to the pre-Pokemon Go print run quantity.
And I think it’s worth mentioning: Almost all NEW MtG booster boxes have experienced more growth in the last 3 years than Pokemon product has. If you want to buy modern sealed product of a tcg that’s where I’d put my money. Some sets even doubling in value.
I’ve been looking at Magic as well. The sealed modern products are doing well, as the player base has gotten stronger. Also, Magic hasn’t printed the sets into oblivion like Pokémon.
This isnt really true anymore, I’m starting to see price increases of other cards from this set aswell including some full art trainers, but ALSO the HR fairy energy now that it is a discontinued mechanic of the game. No more fairy energies will be printed and considering the HR fairy energy from BS is one of the highest teir examples you can get of this card, its collectability and value have been seeing a steady increase.
@jayce87 I agree I love the rainbow rares as well. And I’d much rather have PSa 10s of those or pack fresh raw cards over booster boxes all day. But you said 35 of 36. I don’t have exact count on how many rainbow rares there are but I know for a fact it’s way more than 36. I have tons of binder pages full of them all 9 and 10 candidates. But yes modern booster boxes doesn’t seem like a good “investment” who knows tho maybe way down the line but I have a lot of doubt on potential. If I was hoarding modern sealed product it would be hidden fates. Also let me add i seen some talk of 2-4 years. Ya it might go up $20-$100 during that time period but any real money would be two decades plus from now
The same month I posted this over a year ago I bought:$42 PSA 9 1st ed Rocket’s Moltres$34 PSA 9 1st ed Sabrina’s Alakazam$370 PSA 9 Crystal Ho-oh$124 PSA 9 1st ed Shining Noctowl$22 PSA 9 1st ed Neo Disc Delibird
I haven’t even looked at what these sell for now but I’m assuming it’s a bit higher. Alternatively I could have put all that into Burning Shadows at the time. Lowest prices on ebay is $115 per box. I don’t think that increase even covers the ebay fees.
Although, perhaps counter-intuitively, I think now would not be a bad time to “invest” in Burning Shadows if that’s what you wanted to do. Eventually the availability will start to tail off and that $115 is not going to hold. Just look at Flashfire today
Listen to PkmnFlyingMaster guys I can also confirm even 4 months ago a lot of these same cards mentioned were still real cheap obviously more than prices PkmnFlyingMaster posted but still very cheap compared to current prices. Everyone makes their own choices so if you want to invest in modern sealed product go for it but there’s tons of better things you could buy
Could be a short-term bump due to extra demand from covid. A week ago it was going for $100. Probably will drop back to $100 when dealers restock. BS was printed into the ground. I think most modern sealed after primal clash might be screwed totally due to the change in the reprint policy. The only one I’ve seen price movement on is ultra prism but even then that one seems overly odd to me because you can see booster boxes going for $480 ( $13/pack) but you can also see 3 pack blisters going for $15 ($5/pack)…so if you wanted to actually open ultra prism you could just buy the blisters to get the packs for cheaper.
I’m thinking that “investors” are buying into booster boxes not fully understanding the market. So yeah, if anyone has ultra prism booster box you might want to sell then rebuy your position into blisters instead.
Could. I can’t imagine it would stay down, though, unless it was reprinted, which is appearing less likely as time goes on. It was trending up naturally and seemed ready to break out. Just a disclosure I am invested but attempt to remain unbiased in my comments. My views aren’t attempts to persuade anyone into anything. Merely shared musings.
I don’t think burning shadows is printed nearly as much as people think. Every warning previously from collectors and speculators has always been with the alignment of a possible reprint - that’s the scare that was shared everywhere. But in relation to your point about already being printed into oblivion, why would that be the worry if it was already the case?
Turns out the fear of a reprint has been detering a lot of people, but roaring skies was printed roughly a year and half after its initial release and after the box had already became extremely popular and expensive to purchase. Burning shadows doesn’t have that, and it’s now three years old, it’s gotten used to being avoided by investors and collectors alike. But who knows, I’m not advising anyone to go out and purchase it. I have, but you already know this.
With that out of the way.
I think a good resource for people to learn about price trends for newer booster boxes, is CamelCamelCamel where you can access some nice charts for free. I wouldn’t rely on them for the most current pricing as it can be subject to availability, but they give a great deal of information.