Question from a returning collector

Hey folks, I’ve recently gotten back into the hobby and find myself a bit torn between buying a whole bunch of smaller cards that I like to complete collections/fill a binder OR using that capital Instead to purchase a big personal “grail” card.

Of course there are a whole bunch of higher end cards that I’d like to get, for this specific example it would be Shadowless Charizard in a high grade, at least an 8.

I always try to follow the “buy what you like” philosophy but there is a whole bunch of stuff I like lol

Do you think it is best to get the “big purchase” out of the way? Would love to hear from you all since many are a bit more experienced. :blush:

1 Like

Grail first

2 Likes

It’s not guaranteed but the expensive stuff tends to only get more expensive. To give a personal example, I paid 2k for a PSA 7 Charizard to finish my 1st edition base set, and if I had continued to wait I would be paying at least 7k today. Hope that helps, welcome back to collecting :blush:

1 Like

thanks for the reply! This is where I am leaning for sure, especially because desirable WOTC Holos seem to go up and up and I’d like to get mine for my collection asap. This way I also don’t need to worry about getting that 1 or 2 cards that I’m dying to have

1 Like

Buy the zard now. If you go for an 8-9 expect to pay $400-$2000 more by 2021.

1 Like

Is the consensus on the forum mixed? Most agree that the hobby is on the up but at the same time we are in a small bubble that may correct.

If we’re collecting for the long term, do you just snap up the cards at market rates now, or wait a few months?

Depends what the card is.

And yeah, the consensus is mixed, but very few people have a black/white view of the future of the market. In essence, the situation is that the hobby is extremely healthy in terms of the level of interest and engagement – there are more people involved than ever before. But, at the same time, many cards have increased by a factor of 10-20x over the course of the past 4-5 months, and almost everyone accepts that certain cards will retrace somewhat (although people disagree which).

If you’re just buying for collecting purposes and wouldn’t care if the card you buy goes down by 50% in value, then go for it. In all likelihood that won’t happen, but the world situation is uncertain and no one knows for sure what the future holds. If you have very limited funds, though, it might make sense to wait a bit and see how things evolve from here. But for all we know there could another massive spike in prices next month – I personally doubt it, but no one knows.

In the long term, though, I’m personally pretty confident that the price trajectory will be positive. But there might be larger-than-expected retraces before the prices starting trending upwards again. Anyone saying they know for certain what will happen is full of shit.

3 Likes

Yea awesome. I’m buying 90% for collecting and 10% investing a.k.a I won’t be selling the cards I buy for the foreseeable future.

I think I’d rather be on the side of, ‘I could have got it for $300 less’ rather than ‘I should have got it when I could’.

xxx