PSA Pop Control AKA: Gemocide

Wow those are some strong grades! :muscle:

3 Likes

Thanks mate. Pretty wild how harsh PSA are being on vintage. The grading scale definitely changed since mid 6xxx imo.

All of these should get at least a 1 step bump, eg 8 to 9.

Its become like a side hobby for me, finding undergraded cards and resubbing or crossing.

Bought one of the mewtwos for $100

2 Likes

I love all those shadowless holos

1 Like

off topic but responding to your “grading scale definitely changed…” comment; no it didnt. youll ALWAYS get variances between grades, no matter what “cert # era”, but the standard is the standard and 99% of the time graders will attempt to stay within the standard.

To stay on topic, some japanese crystal 10s are under $2k if anyone is looking :eyes:

This came to mind. If they give out less base set psa 10 holo’s, then the price goes up faster. This will motivate more people to send in cards, open packs, regrade etc. All cards below also gain value as well making them worth it to grade.

You should look up some psa older psa 7 / 8 shadowless cards.
Most of them look flawless too, so it has nothing to do with the cert numbers.
Does anyone know why they are so difficult to grade?

1 Like

Can you give some examples?

Most shadowless 7/8s with older certs I’ve seen and owned were GOOD 7/8s but not at all nearly as clean as a lot of the new cert stuff.

PWCC had a bunch of PSA 10 shadowless just sell and they were in worse condition than a lot of these new 8s I’ve been buying.

Shadowless are hard to get 10s though due to centering and surface issues from factory.

2 Likes

The scale may not have changed but they definitely have periods of being much more strict and having more pop control, and periods of being super loose.

Meaning the result is a change in scale basically.

Look at most 5xxx certs vs 6xxx of 7xxx

It’s night and day.

(5xxx) are loosy goosey imo

Not specific examples but a lot of 8’s looks like a 9 and somethimes even a 10.
A lot of 9’s look like 10’s.
I dont know if im missing something but on the pictures its really hard to tell whats giving the cards lower grades.

Was following this auction last week.

3 Likes

The back looks clean, but the holo has at least 4 horizontal print lines going across the holo. It’s not too pretty to look at.

1 Like

True maybe this isnt the perfect example, but these surface scratches are somethimes hard to see on scans and you can only notice them in person.

Oh man those 10s on pwcc were really bad. I was shocked at the prices they got. They truly looked like 7s

2 Likes

I’ve got plenty of solid 4xx, 5xx slabs and I’ve seen some pretty gross 6xx, 7xx 9s. There’s variance across all cert eras.

4 Likes

2 years from now, we will be saying 8×××××× certs were easy 10s and that 11×××××× are being graded harsher. For anybody that has been around longer than 2 years, this conversation has been happening ever since 0×××××× certs crossed over to 1××××× certs.

Look at the card, not the grade and you will be satisfied with your purchase the majority of the time.

IMO, 0 certs are a little sus though. I wonder what % of cd promos are 0 cert because the only real 0 certs Ive ever had problems with condition wise have always been cd promos.

13 Likes

I want to see a thread where all these cert discussions through the history of E4 are gathered in one place

3 Likes

Yeah those are pretty print liney tbh. PSA is now giving 7s to those that have multiple heavy print lines. Which is fair imo.

1 Like

I mean yes… But it’s pretty undeniable that the pop control at the moment is wild.

Imo it’s a response to CGC 10s flooding the market.

Yet modern print lines are a 10.

That Pikachu Scarlet and Violet giveaway promo which has like 20,000 10s or something despite print lines being present.

Inconsistent standards.

I see well experienced and knowledgeable people denying/disproving this conspiracy all the time. Not sure it’s so undeniable.

Edit: right on schedule

Screenshot_20231010-102638

11 Likes

I heard why PSA has such a massive backlog is because every time a shadowless holo comes in they pull the fire alarm to make sure every employee knows it’s time to control the pop on a $200 card.

50 Likes