Psa grade old card

hi, i notice some old card have big damages and still get a 10
does psa today still grade old card not harshly or are they old slabs only ?
thanks

1 Like

When you’re sending your card to get graded, you’re asking for their opinion. It may not always be right, and what you hoped it would be, but that’s what you sign up for. You ask 10 people their opinion on who grades harsher, I guarantee you you’ll get 10 different answers.

Too many variables involved when it comes to grading. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It’s all part of the game.

7 Likes

The truth has come

7 Likes

Old cards, new cards, you’ll find “bad” grades everywhere (you’ll also find a lot of accurate grades and probably a lot of undergraded cards too, such is the nature of subjectivity). The argument over whether a certain time period was “easier” or “harsher” than another is an endless pit of despair where it is effectively impossible to prove any answer, so you just get a bunch of people saying what they think. Of course, opinions about PSA grading harshness have no relationship whatsoever to the percentage of 9s on your most recent submission.

4 Likes

Two things to note:

1. A PSA 10 with significant damage is a mistake. Mistakes happened back then and they happen today, they happen with PSA, CGC, BGS, PFM grading, etc. We can discuss whether these mistakes are more or less common between eras and companies but ultimately there’s no real way to know.

2. The thing that’s always left out of these conversations is what I’ll call card “stickiness”. When a card is bought, there’s a chance the same copy will end up on the market again within 3 years. So in this context, a “sticky” card ends up in a collection for a longer amount of time - or even indefinitely. Here’s the speculative part: a misgraded card is far less sticky than an accurately graded card. If you actually care about condition, you’re far more likely to sell off a misgraded 10 to get a better copy. Over time, the least stickiest cards are disproportionately represented on the market. In other words, the oldest certs you see for sale are biased towards cards that are more likely to be resold.

Just something to think about

34 Likes

Holy fuck this is such a sexy post

#2 :rocket:

2 Likes

@casual Beat me to it! That #2 point is nsfw!

1 Like

4 Likes

6 Likes

thanks for the answers, ill do my own test then

Sure, pfm is very smart and insightful. His two bullet points are very compelling. But what of the secret third thing that only Stagecoach knows?

Just something to think about.

5 Likes

Give us your wisdom or the Meowth gets it :grimacing:

Sorry can’t share. Hope your conscience feels clean when you’ve done what you’ve done.

2 Likes

Even in the 6xxxxxx and 7xxxxxx era you can find suspicious looking psa 10s. It’s all part of the subjective nature of grading.

1 Like