PSA Announces Funko Grading

PSA has officially announced authentication and grading criteria for Funko Pop! items. What do we think? Is this the next huge market for grading? Is it a necessary step for Funko collectibles?

GRADE LABEL DESCRIPTION
GEM MT 10 Gem Mint This is as good as it gets! A Funko Pop! graded PSA GEM MT 10 will be virtually flawless. The box must exhibit a clean window that’s free of any scuffs, scratches, or dents, and have sharply folded corners. It will have perfectly sealed sticker application(s), and ultra clean surfaces on all six sides.
MINT 9 Mint A Funko Pop! that receives a grade of PSA MINT 9 may appear perfect at first glance, but upon closer inspection you may find 2-3 minor (but visible) imperfections. Examples of such flaws would be a very light scratch on the window, light indentations in the cardboard, a frayed corner, a small amount of sticker wear or residue, or a corner fold that isn’t perfectly square.
NM-MT+ 8.5 Near Mint-Mint + Still a high-end Funko Pop!, a PSA NM-MT+ 8.5 may have a couple noticeable, but still somewhat minor, flaws. This box may exhibit a very light or extremely small crease, multiple touched or imperfectly folded corners, light scratches on the window, ink smudges, a micro-tear on a corner, indentation lines, or other similarly visible flaws.
NM-MT 8 Near Mint-Mint A Funko Pop! that receives a grade of PSA NM-MT 8 is going to exhibit moderate flaws that start to detract from its presentation. Examples of such flaws include light creasing, a lightly frayed corner, window scratches or scuffs, a very small stain, micro-tears on multiple corners or minor shelf wear.
NM+ 7.5 Near Mint + A PSA NM+ 7.5 will display well, but will also exhibit minor flaws apparent upon closer inspection. Defects can include moderate creases, a minor corner tear, scratches or scuffs on the window, damage to the sticker, a moderately damaged corner corner, or a heavy indentation.
NM 7 Near Mint A Funko Pop! that is given a grade of PSA NM 7 will show a few moderate flaws that detract from the overall visual appeal. These defects can include a heavy crease, a moderate corner tear, light yellowing or a small stain, a badly scratched or scuffed window, a very small tear, a light box-cutter scratch, mis-folded corners or moderate shelf wear.
EX-MT+ 6.5 Excellent-Mint + A Funko Pop! that receives a PSA EX-MT+ 6.5 will have multiple visible flaws, such as: a heavy crease, a crushed corner, a badly scratched or scuffed window, yellowing or staining, a moderate tear, a small amount of paper loss, and other visible damage.
EX-MT 6 Excellent-Mint A PSA EX-MT 6 will exhibit a number of apparent flaws, which may include heavy creasing, badly damaged corners, obvious window scuffing, paper loss, significant shelf wear, stains or yellowing, or a moderate tear.
EX+ 5.5 Excellent + A Funko Pop! at PSA EX+ 5.5 level, shows some areas of crushing, heavy creasing, a large stain, paper loss, multiple corner tears or a badly damaged window.
EX 5 Excellent The PSA 5 grading tier allows for a Funko Pop! to show significant damage, such as multiple crushed corners, a window tear, a large stain or significant yellowing, heavy creases, multiple corner tears, heavy shelf wear or a heavy box-cutter slice.
VG-EX+ 4.5 Very Good-Excellent + A Funko Pop! that grades VG-EX+ 4.5 exhibits multiple significant flaws, including crushing, heavy corner tears, a heavily scratched or torn window, stains, moderate paper loss, or a pen/ink mark.
VG-EX 4 Very Good-Excellent At the PSA VG 4 level, a Funko Pop! will exhibit heavy wear and tear, including sun-fading, heavy crushing, a cracked window, moderate paper loss, multiple stains or a heavy tear.
VG+ 3.5 Very Good + A Funko Pop! graded at PSA VG+ 3.5 has significant flaws. These flaws may include heavy tears, a crushed box, sun-fading, heavy stains or a torn window.
VG 3 Very Good A Funko Pop! that receives a PSA VG 3 will exhibit extreme damage that can include heavy sun-fading, large stains, heavy tears, a partially unglued window or seam or heavy paper loss.
GOOD+ 2.5 Good + If a Funko Pop! receives a grade of PSA GOOD+ 2.5, it will exhibit all the qualities of a PSA GOOD 2, but will maintain a bit of structural integrity.
GOOD 2 Good At the PSA GOOD 2 level, the box will barely function and will appear to be falling apart. Flaws will include heavy crushing, a mostly unglued window or seam, heavy tears in multiple areas, heavy stains or sun-fading, or large tears.
FR 1.5 Fair + While the box barely provides housing for its Funko Pop!, a PSA FR 1.5 will exhibit all of the flaws of a PSA PR 1, but will maintain a semblance of structural integrity.
PR 1 Poor At the lowest possible grade of PR 1, you can expect the box of a Funko Pop! to be almost completely falling apart. Flaws can include an almost complete ungluing of the window (the window still must be present), heavy stains, sun-bleaching, multiple areas of paper loss, or large tears.

In addition to the criteria listed above, PSA will consider the following:

• Location and Severity of the damage
  • How the damage detracts from the eye appeal
  • Damage to the figure itself
  • Paint flaws on the figure
  • Damage to the plastic insert
  • Price sticker being present
  • Sticker residue

A Funko Pop! exhibiting any of the following will not be graded and the customer will be assessed an evaluation fee (fee to be determined):

• A counterfeit Funko Pop!
  • A missing or broken piece on the figure.
  • Significant paint defects on the figure.
  • Alteration of any kind, including a swapped sticker, a swapped window, recoloring on the box or figure, or a customized/repainted box or figure.

FASC designation: A Funko Pop! that comes directly from a sealed master case.

Read more here: https://www.psacard.com/services/funkograding

2 Likes

Seems cool. The grading scale is interesting

2 Likes

Agreed. I don’t collect Funko Pops! or keep up with their new releases, but I can appreciate the breadth of their consumer base. There are Funko Pops! for almost every mainstream intellectual property at this point. Whether a PSA case will provide a premium on the sale price is beyond my knowledge, though.

As someone who owns over a hundred funko pops, I’m curious how harsh they’ll be on the paint flaws. Funko quality control is absolute garbage when it comes to the paint… If you thought grading Pokemon cards was hard, just wait

1 Like

Now my plastic funko in a plastic box can be sealed in a plastic container!

Jokes aside this just makes sense given the collecting scene and the value in sealed funkos.

2 Likes

This is the first time I realised that the grading is based on the quality of the packaging and not the product itself. Now that I think about it, that’s kinda weird. Even for sealed video games. Like… who cares if the edge has a tiny indent? Somehow, it’s different to a trading card where the piece of cardboard is the actual thing. This probably doesn’t make sense lol but my brain just kind of exploded.

2 Likes

Have we reached peak consumerism or are there more depths to mine?

3 Likes

They should just grade video games at this point.

With Funkos collecting, the package is considered part of the product. Im pretty sure the company designed them to be kept and aesthetically pleasing inside the packaging for collectors.

There is definitely an appeal in product that has managed to be kept in its original packaging and in good condition, especially over a long time. It’s really cool holding old blister packs of pokemon from like 20 years ago cuz that’s how it would look like on store shelves all those years ago. And there is the rarity because most others were opened up so this lucky one managed to be sealed for some reason all these years. Now obviously most funkos aren’t getting opened, quite the contrary. But like I said, the packaging is considered part of the product for most collectors, like a display of sorts.

3 Likes

They already do. The company that owns PSA also owns WATA Games.

1 Like

Meanwhile in 2042:

I can’t belive they grade the AI algorithm that generates the sealed funko pop NFT and not the NFT itself!

5 Likes

And yet no one grades deck boxes. Well, no one reputable yet.

1 Like

To be honest, I was waiting for a PSA Booster Box Grading announcement. My guess is that they don’t want the liability that comes along with accidentally authenticating/grading a fake vintage booster box.

2 Likes

It does. The autographed encapsulated PSA Funkos I sold this year crushed the non-encapsulated even with psa or jsa stickers. There are also A LOT of fakes in the market so this is a smart move for the industry

CGC literally just sent out an email about grading games now, like 1hr after I read your post… LOL

3 Likes