PSA 10 1st edition base

Hi guys I’ve been thinking recently about the potential growth amongst PSA 10 1st ed base holos, I can see that now they are still fairly easy to obtain due to cards being somewhat consistently avaible for sale, with that’s said, I can only imagine that this availability will eventually dry up in the future due to the set having the most demmand and historical status being OG the cards are likley to fall into collections in which will never be sold. I understand that this analogy is fairly common knowledge but the reason I ask is because I’m debating whether or not its a good time to buy as the cards are still easily obtainable and my worry is that will change in the future and prices may become insane she to demmand and supply. If anyone has any insight or enough experience in the hobby to have to give some assessment on the potential of these cards it would be much appreciated. :blush:

2 Likes

Makes sense and yes, I guess they should grow. Maybe they can drop a little still, but who knows? As long as more people buy them for their own collection or for the long run they should only go up (look at mtg cards, it’s crazy).
If you like the cards, want an iconic piece in perfect condition and have the dough, go for it ;-).

1 Like

They will probably be consistently available in the short term (except Charizard), mostly due to the never-ending consignments to PWCC, so the prices will most likely stay consistent at current levels.

That being said, they have dropped since their peak (again, except Charizard), so if you want to complete a set for your personal collection, I don’t really see a ton of downside risk. Long term it will always be the first set and out of print since 1999.

Buy them if you enjoy them.

1 Like

I would not wait. I’m currently working towards the same goal and have been taking advantage of the influx of PWCC copies (3/16 deep). Most of the cards have a pop under 100 and I can almost guarantee more than 100 people want to own at least one someday. I would also advise not being afraid of paying more than the current going rate, I lost out on a ninetales for being cheap.

2 Likes

If you’re not buying them now, I’m not sure what you’re waiting for.

2 Likes

I agree with others, now is the time to buy. However, I think it will take months or even a couple years before the supply really drys up and we see highly competitive auctions. Don’t expect fast growth and make sure you can hold the cards.

Look at a card like Mewtwo, where in late 2017 it had sale prices at $4.5k and $6k. Supply increased significantly and the price is below $2k now. We know from this data, that these cards have potential for high prices when availability is low.

7 Likes

My 2 cents.

I’m holding off on 1st Base holos right now (except for shadowless Thick Machamps. I believe the shadowless PSA 10 Holos will be shooting up.

1 Like

my 4 cents shaowlees 1st edition psa 9 holos or psa 10 have gone down and will continue to be steady for 1-3 years and then after that will shoot up once supply has dried up what with pokemon go, media attention by Gary :blush:, record sales of cards and anniversaries that brought everyone and there mum out that had cards sitting in the closet getting them and grading or selling because of the record sales eventuallythat supple will run out and when that does the demand for them will out run the supply and prices will go up.

on a personal note that gives me hopefully about 1.5 years to complete my set and i need 30 holos and about 40 non holos to complete my English base sets

I don’t have any yet but would like to get some in the future. The Charizard always seems to be double of what I can afford so that’s the only one I say buy as soon as possible because who knows where it will be even a year from now. The others seem to be steady. Some are even cheaper than they were a year or so ago. No one has a crystal ball but I think you have a little time to buy still at this level.