Prototype Charmander Appears For Sale

Chumlee can sleep easy once again

1 Like

Any guesses as to what is going on with the seadra card? Its different than the other pokemon cards shown and doesnt look like the trainer cards either

There are several (3 I recall) different types of prototypes, each with different layouts/unique features

1 Like

Think I might have pulled a few of these as a kid. Will have to check my parent’s attic.

4 Likes

wait some time, you will see that in a few months another “true first edition” will magically appear

Noticed that Porygon is the only one with a background in art other than poke doll, maybe cuz they are both Kinebuchi illustrations? Also, bulbasaur’s weakness is mentioned as “weak point” in English but the rest have the weakness verbiage in Japanese. And the pokemons type/energy symbol in the top right is a Japanese character just like Yu-Gi-oh cards, I assume this was before Arita came on and designed the energy symbols? (I think I heard he did that, correct me if I’m wrong).

I find it strange too that Akabane’s binder pages only cover 3/4 of each card haha

1 Like

I really like the touch that the energies were kanji in the early stages.

base set porygon is an imakuni illustration although the prototype card pictured above has it attributed to sugimori :thinking:

2 Likes

Its really cool to see it for sale, just a year after we saw them for the first time. Im not sure what I feel about the card tho, it would be a great piece to own for the history but I have a wierd feeling about it

1 Like

I have a feeling it’s going to be bought, then shilled and hyped to the high heavens. In reality it will likely never sell for more than this next purchase price.

7 Likes

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen

More info about the test cards here:
Link

6 Likes

As @shizzlemetimbers mentioned previously, there are likely to be many different iterations of the test cards.

It reminds me of the Magic the Gathering playtest cards, of which 5 different iterations were created before the prints actually took place (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon).

3 Likes

Why did you have to point this out? Now my soul hurts looking at their IG :skull_and_crossbones: No sleeves either oml

4 Likes