Prototype Charmander Appears For Sale

Proretrox has put up a listing for this prototype Charmander from the beginning phases of the TCG’s inception process. The seller does not have an asking price. Just fielding offers on it.

From Pro Retro X

Previously this style of prototype card was only seen on Akabane’s Instagram account earlier this year.

11 Likes

I think this is sort of a museum piece kind of card. The ceiling on this card is unknowable haha. Most likely someone like Dubsy or pokemafa might snag it, or a different private buyer who we will never know? With it being in the Charizard evo line, I’m sure many folks are highly interested in it. Thinking maybe six figures for it.

It’s an exciting unprecedented sale though which is dope!

Am I wrong or lately there are always non-TCG cards appearing and people call them “the real first edition”? Of course they are very interesting but it seems that they do it just to make it considered so unique and sell it at very high prices.

9 Likes

This sort of thing really makes my heart face.

Very interested to see what Charmander sells for so we might get a baseline for what these cards might be worth on the open market. I wouldn’t buy Charmander, but would definitely keep an eye on other cards.

1 Like

Proto-pokemon live on!

These do look cool in their washed out colour look.

Proto-toise will be proud!

Need Chansey

12 Likes

Where is it listed for sale?! :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Only listed on this IG post

“No set price, offers only” aka bid against yourself and never know!

8 Likes

Go get it brotha. Bring it home to e4.

6 Likes

Is there any article or anything yet on e4 about these and their legitimacy?

Need Oddish :leaves:

2 Likes

Looks like proto Charizard is completely different to Base Charizard. Proto Blastoise is the same art as Base Blastoise. Damn shame that Venusaur isn’t visible. I would love to know what that looked like.

1 Like

Do we know why these have stayed silent for so long? I’m shocked that they weren’t offloaded during the hype in 2021.

8 Likes

Would be very interesting to own a piece like this. I’m sure CGC will jump in to grade it with questionable evidence as always. Quality wise I guess these are very far from what Media Factory printed later on, so I guess they will be easier to replicate, but still a 3rd party company is key for these.

What a cool piece of history. I wish there was more information on it. Such as confirmation the original owner was a member of the development team.

1 Like

How do you authenticate this?

2 Likes

By sourcing one from a creator of the tcg? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You’ve heard it here first, Blaine’s charizard is the original base charizard! But likely since most the art is sugimori that it would be same as black star.

i thought no rarity was the true first edition…

The proto charmander doesn’t have a rarity symbol! :brain:

11 Likes