Projected Value for Damaged/Played Items

and I addressed that lol

HP cards have been my best ROI ; applying it to any one specific set or small group of sets, you can only guess at that point, anyone with a brain can see shadowless holos (or other things like 1st ed holos) are for sure good holds in HP, which is why I covered a broad range of ideas

like I said before I think the shadowless c/u in heavily played conditions are also innately a great hold, but the problem with cards that cheap is the time factor & (when you actually sell) the shipping+fees factor, because the best way to sell cards is generally one by one and not in a lot

with the base/jungle/fossil as long as the values for the holos rise, then the HP values are likely to rise, my concern with that entire situation is being the most oversaturated of the old holos

loud noises!

3 Likes

So basically you come in here “floored” from the “recklessly, casually bad misinformation” presented here and then proceed to essentially reiterate all the points already made by other people in this thread?

Am I missing something?

3 Likes

I strongly disagree. The posts mostly said not to buy (NZG) or stagnant prices (pokenoob); smpratte’s post was also unclear about if it included HP (although you could assume it does). Your post zipped past if they are a good actual buy/short term hold and went to the rising tides point.

HP cards are the absolute easiest cards to buy at the most profitable immediate prices in person, and also rise when prices rise. The first page mostly jumped right past HP to “do LP”. But LP is the worst from every angle - not as nice condition as NM, not as deep a discount as MP/HP, yet the most common result from people taking poor care of cards and/or actually playing them so people have a ton to sell.

He’s just asking if he should hold onto them. I’ll just stick to my opinion that a lot of these cards have not appreciated at all since 1999. Why would they be such a good investment now?

Hell they were probably more valuable back then. I would have paid $5 for a holo to put in my deck and it’s probably worth $2 now.

As another member stated it’s possible they see good growth, but there are better places to put our money that doesn’t require a ton of work.

have no interest in them whatsoever, desireand interest and passion for collecting is what drives the future potential of crd, if a majority feel like i do about damaged/played cards then future value is zilch. people’s minds and thoughts can change though, mine won’t :wink:

I personally wouldn’t waste my time or money on heavily played cards. A messed up card was worthless in 1999, is worthless now, and will always be worthless.
Now are there exceptions? Sure. A 1st Base Charizard may at least follow inflation and a little but the op was pretty specific with his question.

Wily man I think you should just holster your expertise for when someone needs advise on knockoff pokemon plushies from hong kong. No one wants beat up unlimited, fossil and jungles and likely never will.

2 Likes

Either he’s joking or sitting on a ton of junk lol.

2 Likes

Not everybody has your finances or has built up a collection the same way as you, and played cards are by nature the safest entry point. You have to know what you are doing which is the reason I elaborated.

Any time you can buy a card at 10% of its NM price, you are making out like a bandit, since you will always be able to get around 25-50% on HP, little worse on damaged. People have been snapping up the ex ultra rares nonstop this year, so I think it is probably too late for those anymore, which was why I gave the Rayquaza C Lv. X example.

I cannot stop you from willfully misinforming people on played cards. But it shocks that people are purposely ignoring and dismissing something lucrative. I have plenty of failings in life, like being persuasive, but everything I said about how to make profit & what the margins are on played cards is accurate (and does not account for time based gains at all). Junk is not demeaning or worthless; one’s trash is another’s treasure is a very true adage. Just use knowledge and experience to be discerning about what could be treasure.

On the topic of heavy played cards; take a look at this gem:rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183451445628
LOL
Why won’t eBay let me offer a negative dollar amount?

The description says “card has damage, not in good shape but case included.” What a way to contradict the title. But hey, you get a toploader! This belongs in www.elitefourum.com/t/ebay-garbage/10286/1

Sorry for the bump, but you were definitely dead wrong on this King Pokemon. The monetary value was there, albeit like penny stocks. I’m happy to report a year later that after a change of heart I was able to liquidate 90% of my HP unlimited base, jungle, and fossil holos. My gp went straight into sealed product, and MP shadowless zards. My investments have roughly doubled in value since last October. Wily was spot on and I appreciate his input.

How much did you get for a heavily played Muk or Vileplume?

Averaged around $0.70 for the really HP holos, $1.00-$1.50 for the PL stuff. All in all my GP was around $350.00.
I purchased these with the proceeds:

1 Like

.70 for them seems like a lot of work but since it paid off for you, that’s great:)

Indeed, Every dollar counts when it’s just a hobby.

I’m not a nerd, watch it pal!

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! I have no idea about future growth for damaged cards (especially commons and uncommons, even non holo rares) but I can say as of right now, the holos sell. Whether they grow in price or stay the same as they are now forever, we will see. Every collection I buy I separate all the damaged holos/reverse holos (WOTC - EX series) from the rest and put them on ebay in lots and they sell every time. I dont know who wants damaged cards and for what reason, but someone does! So as long as pokemon card collecting is healthy, I reckon there will be a market for holos in almost any condition.

Greetings friend!