Posting raw mint cards at graded prices

Tracking down an actual nm-m card on Ebay can be so difficult, and conditions are so subjective. I do not like raw cards listed at PSA prices, because a raw card is not a guaranteed grade. As so many people have already mentioned, there are so many variables that you don’t know until the card is in your hand. I’m trying to fill binder pages, so most of the stuff I end up with is LP to NM-. Of course, I want as close to NM-M as possible, but that’s just not possible with some cards. If I want a true NM+ - M card, I’ll just buy a graded PSA 8 or 9. Saves the hassle of grading it myself and obsessing over every mark.

1 Like

One word guys: potential. People are always willing to throw money away for the potential of a big payout. Never forget this. We buy on emotion and try to justify later with logic.

There is a massive serotonin/dopamine hit of accomplishment from finding a raw card and converting it to a high grade for a huge ROI. Plus there is always the POTENTIAL for a 10 (or a grade higher than you anticipate) when you buy a raw card, whereas a graded card is what it is. It’s why sports bettors bet parlays even though they are the suckerest bet you can do. The potential that their 10-team parlay hits and they 500X their investment is enough to keep the suckers coming back.

It’s why lot sellers continue to swindle people – it’s that POTENTIAL for the Charizard or Gold Star or whatever chase card they use to manipulate people into buying their “literally wore a blindfold while picking cards I swear guise I’m not just getting rid of my bulk trash” lots.

So sellers will continue to sell raw cards at super inflated prices because simply put, people are emotional enough to pay for it. I am probably going to break some CGC 8.5’s and sell as raw because I’ll get more $ for them. It just is what it is.

2 Likes

How does this psa 10 dark charizard make you feel?

Pic: imgur.com/a/WyvNZH1

Bad for the buyer when he discovers it´s a fake?

I agree, two different markets for ungraded vs graded

Simple if you want graded prices get it graded. It takes time and money to get things graded so wanting graded prices is laughable.

Sellers can ask any price they want but using the graded approach as logic isn’t a good one. I generally stay away from those type of sellers.

I got mad just reading this title. Facebook marketplace is the worst for this.

Or when people post medium - heavy played cards with pictures of PSA 10 prices trying to get the same amount…

Always ask sellers for more pictures if there’s aren’t good enough, specifically pictures of the holo to get a good look at any scratches. And ALWAYS ask if there’s any bends dents or creases. That way if it still comes damaged you can always open up a return and eBay will side with you even if the seller won’t accept a return (they usually do though). I’ve had a lot of success on eBay buying nm+ raw cards, after a while you kind of get an eye for it as silly as that sounds. Never trust condition labels. I still get burned with a less than expected condition card sometimes, but you can really limit that from happening if you get more pictures and ask questions. Most sellers are very helpful and honest

Having been in this hobby a little less than 1 month, this is for sure one of the first things I learned. This and I shouldn’t blow money on listings titled “Mystery Lot! Chance for Base Set Charizard!”

Basically I will very rarely drop more than 50 bucks on anything ungraded. It has to be the perfect picture and really make sense. I still want to put together a little collection of more common/cheaper cards for my kids to enjoy

Listed this on my eBay just for y’all.