Pokemon’s Financial Graveyard

I see too many comments throughout Scott’s videos asking about investment questions or if they are doing the right thing or w/e… it just starts to annoy me then anything.

3 Likes

That’s the thing I always notice to… a thread saying

‘Is this a good investment’

Quit buying to invest and buy to collect :blush: if the card gains money in the future then that’s a bonus :blush: that’s the way see it. Collect first money comes after as a bonus! The more you focus on investing your just not going to enjoy yourself

Just my 2 cents :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Whaaa, u dont like it “raw”? lol :grin:

1 Like

I literally write this in every comment that I see on Youtube lol

1 Like

I’m here to cash out! $$$$$$$$$
It’s all about the money baby. Am I right over here or what?!?!?!?!

6 Likes

This is painfully true, I feel bad for Scott, he’s been in the game for so long and when I think about the thousands upon thousands of hours of research I have done, when I’ve been in the serious side of the hobby for a relatively short period of time, like, it baffles my mind how much work the Big League-ers have done.

Time is money and its genuinely rude when people ask for all the answers when they’re unwilling to do the legwork themselves, its totally fair and I fully encourage when the Pro’s charge for insight as that’s their darn job and profession!

There are no shortcuts to success, put the work in, love what you do and you’ll eventually be rewarded beyond the enjoyment of collecting.

6 Likes

Well said and couldn’t be anymore true :blush:!

1 Like

Outside of the random side plot, this thread presents the most clear and concise arguments for collecting first. Maybe make this thread a stickie so people can find it to post as a reply when members ask about how to invest/value/liquidity/futures/etc?

3 Likes

I don’t see investors as that bad, as they bring in money and more important exposure which kinda reinforces the card collecting hobby as a whole. I mean on one side it sucks that cards get more expensive, but this also increases the value of one owns collection. Also I’m pretty sure that guys like Gary are more satisified when there are guys out there dropping 40’000 USD for a PSA 10 charizard instead of 1’000 USD :blush:

My favorite is when a user makes a fair offer in the market section to buy a product, and then members come in and act personally offended at the price offered if it’s a penny less than market value.

To me, anyone publicly complaining on a thread about your offer (when they have no intention of selling) is doing one thing only, which Is deterring others from accepting your offer in attempt to drive the price up on a product they probably own.

5 Likes

This just isn’t true, 99% of the time the offer is well below “market value”. MAINLY this site is filled with collectors, who most likely have that item and need a decent offer to make it worthwhile to sell something they like. When people make these posts saying they will pay X amount, typically 20-30% under market value, yeah some members see it as a slap to the face. And their so called attempt of raising they price by offering their advice to raise their price to actually get the item, is incorrect. It is almost impossible for one, two or even 10 members to influence the price of an item which isn’t very unique (IE non trophy or very low population/distributed cards), so that theory is ridiculously off base.

There is a reason cards sell for a certain amount on eBay, its the current amount reached by a buyer and seller, and coming on to a MAINLY collectors site and offering LESS than that amount is just plain stupid. Respect the site and the people, they typically have what you want, or wait on ebay for the price you feel its worth.

6 Likes

I had never thought about this, but it is surprising accurate in my experience. Binder collections are such a good way to economically display cards regardless of their price.

1 Like

Bitcoin?

2 Likes

I never said investors were bad. I just don’t think buying into this hobby is investing as long as your paying near market.

My main collection is the Charizards. Why would I be more “satisfied” that my next one is going to cost 40,000.00 instead of 1,000.00???

I can see both the aesthetic and investment value in Pokémon cards. If one didn’t have the other then E4 would be alot more empty my opinion. It’s like a 2 sided coin.

Pokémon cards for at least the last 3 years have seen prices go up and down depending on the card.

Various cards I’ve purchased 3 years ago have more than tripled in value which I have sold and made a decent profit on. People not in the hobby have recognised this and are now too joining in buying and selling cards for profit. Who can blame them? This is good for the hobby in my opinion considering I value both the aesthetic and investment value of cards.

Every man has a price!

your collection automatically gains in value. Why do you collect charizards in the first place, since it isn’t even your favorite pokemon? I assume because they are some of the most valuable and iconic cards in the hobby. Higher prices should be something good for collectors that already have a large collection. Would you rather have a charizard being forever 1000 $ or something that grows in value over time? I doubt someone would buy multiple cards of the same type, knowing that the value would stay the same forever…

2 Likes

Newbies coming in only to buy then sell to make more money is good for the hobby in what way?

You don’t mean you “value the investment value”. Maybe investment potential.

Gary wants to buy, not sell. He would rather have Charizard cost $1000 so he could buy more/all lol.

1 Like

“Why do you collect charizards in the first place, since it isn’t even your favorite pokemon? I assume because they are some of the most valuable and iconic cards in the hobby.”
Wrong.
So you can only collect your single favorite? I collect MANY different Pokémon items. The Charizards get all the press though.

“Higher prices should be something good for collectors that already have a large collection.”
Wrong. At least for me.
Under what circumstances is it better to pay higher prices when you plan to keep on buying and you’re not selling…ever?

“I doubt someone would buy multiple cards of the same type, knowing that the value would stay the same forever…”
And wrong.
I would collect what I love regardless of what the future brings. I don’t buy things for my collection based on guesses of what the future will bring. I buy them cause I enjoy them.

I think the bottom line is, putting too much emphasis on value can take some of the fun out of collecting and it can be a detriment to the hobby. All you really have is current market value. Tomorrow you’ll have the same…whether higher or lower.

1 Like

What a concept eh? Lol

1 Like