Pokémon Red and Green Versions

Has anybody seen these games in sealed condition recently? I feel like I’ve been looking all over the place and these things are crazy hard to find!

I’ve found cartridges and open boxes, but nothing sealed. If anybody finds any sealed copies, please link one here :blush:

Thanks!

Japanese Nintendo games of this era were rarely (never?) sealed.

6 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t think these came sealed. I used to wonder if they did for many years, as early as when I was a teen & never once saw a sealed copy, not even in pictures.

1 Like

I did stumble across this copy after several pages of searching. I’m glad I was able to get some insight here, because it seems as though you are correct. I couldn’t find a copy with shrink wrap. It’s just weird to me that they decided to sell these with a loose box like shoes… I don’t know, that’s just me.

Thanks guys!

None of the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo 64 or GameCube games came sealed in Japan. Afaik they started sealing their games in shrinkwrap during the very back end of the Nintendo DS era. I’ve never seen a sealed copy of any handheld Japanese Pokémon game that predates 2012. It’s also worth knowing that any Japanese game released during or after 2012 came sealed, no matter if it was a handheld or console release. On my hunt to acquire every Pokémon game that was ever released, I can’t count the number of times people would have “factory sealed brand new”-condition copies of games that never came sealed to begin with. The more you know!

1 Like

It’s just like the Brits in the music record business. Never sealed their LP’s. Ahh, the US is but one of the few that actually put shrink wrap around their music…

Do we know if Wata or VGA would grade these? I’m under the impression these boxes are a lot smaller than the US counterparts.

I have a VGA graded gameboy game of the same size. I believe they look at whether the cardboard flaps have been bent back to determine whether it has been opened or not. It will cause a crease. Otherwise it can be given a ‘qualified’ grade.

Not sure about WATA.

1 Like