Poke_rd collection- The road to 103/102 PSA 1st ed base set

Good bye money, hello Pokemon cards!

Join me on my collecting quest as I try to catch em all!

The main goal is 103/102 PSA 10 1st edition base set, but may be settling on PSA 9 holos to begin. Before starting this journey I start with 2 cards, squirtle and charmander.

9/13/17 : A strong beginning!

Today’s arrivals include much of the bulk Commons a Canadian can hope to ship in one go. This will bring the collection up to 28/103. My favorite card of this shipment has to be the Red cheek Pikachu, such a classic card!

13 Likes

My life in a nutshell…

Great start on your collection! Best of luck completing it!

2 Likes

And now his wallet’s watch is ended.

Good luck, my friend.

It may take a long time but it will be a hell of an accomplishment if/when you finally complete it.

4 Likes

I am sure you guys have seen these posts before.

This isn’t a sprint, rather a marathon. So we will see what happens!

Any idea on the number of people who own a complete set?

I don’t know the answer to that but someone else might (maybe Scott or Gary?). The highest theoretical number of completed sets is 40. But from what I can tell, the true number of people who have completed the set is probably closer to a dozen.

I’m not too far away, though.

Good luck!

I’m almost done my own PSA 9 set. I started by collecting the holos in PSA 8 some years back and moved to 9s as I gained some disposal income. My advice? Buy the expensive cards first, especially if you plan on taking your time. I started with the small fries first and watched the charizard go from $600 to $3k before I bought it.

Watching those weedles go $40 → $80 will not be as painful as watching the holos go $2k → $4k

3 Likes

Solid advice, would you be open to chatting about values / trends in private message?

I agree with this advice. The sooner you can buy the rarer and more expensive cards, the better.

Also, I assume you know this, but you need to be prepared to spend $100k+ if you want to be able to complete this endeavor.

1 Like

Sure thing, just keep in mind I can only offer speculation and my knowledge is particularly specific to 9s

I’ll just live out this dream vicariously through you :blush:

Wow man, awesome challenge! Keep us updated and congrats on that solid start :wink: !

I have also recently started this challenge :blush: I 100% agree go with the heavy hitters first. I’ll be there with you in this quest, it’s definitely a marathon one for sure! But this makes me feel that it will be even more satisfying when it’s completed!! I hope it’s achievable, best of luck!

2 Likes

also get lass as well as thats a hard one to find jynx and wartorle and then focus on holos i was at some stage 14 away from a psa 10 set :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like