Personal Thoughts on PSA Card Grading?

I’m going to put in my 2 cents about the Shaymin EX selling so poorly.

It’s highly playable right now. What does that mean? Well players are buying them for their decks, not collections.
The reason it probably sold for as little as it did, is because Japanese cards 99.9% of the time are better quality, mint (or better) straight from the box and are cheaper (except promos & other circumstances).

I agree with the respect that people are grading more and more. On one side it is good because people are realizing the potential of grading, saving card conditions and the price increase. I am seeing a little bit of market saturation in certain areas (mainly from cheaper Japanese EX cards and things of that nature) but that is because now everyone who opens up a case, is left with dupes and thinks… PSA: It can make my dupes print money.

Example (I’ll use Wild Blaze)

Magnezone EX - There are 12 graded by PSA, 9 of which are 10s.
Toxicroak EX - There are 18 graded by PSA, 18 of which are 10s.
Kangaskhan EX - There are 18 graded by PSA, 3 of which are 10s.
M-Kangaskhan EX - There are 21 graded by PSA, 20 of which are 10s.
M-Kangaskhan EX SR (Going by PSA’s 2 different titles for it in the Pop Report) - There are 19 graded by PSA, 17 of which are 10s.
M-Charizard EX (DRAGON) - There are 107 graded by PSA, 101 of which are 10s.
Charizard EX - There are 86 graded by PSA, 78 of which are 10s.
M-Charizard EX SR 88 - There are 9 graded by PSA, 9 of which are 10s.
M-Charizard EX SR 89 - There are 5 graded by PSA, 3 of which are 10s.

This is just to put it in perspective… I don’t know if anyone else sees this trend?

2 Likes

you’re spot on. We’ve actually pointed this out in another discussion about the prices of english psa 10s. The general understanding of it was this. Quality vs quantity. English cards have the quantity because they are still being produced long after the set has come out but they lack the quality. Japanese cards have the quality but they have limited quantity because once the set is printed i dont think they do another 1st edition print run. They have unlimited. The japanese’s quantity is the reason their Secret rares go for so much even though there are so easy to get 10s. I believe milhouse boiled down the arguement/discussions simplicity into quality vs quantity (dont want to steal credit for his words).

While i do admit i get bothered that a whole bunch of new people are grading hoping to make some cash i know thats how everythigng is. People jumped onto real estate market or join avon/or that crappy mexican supplement brand. regardless of how those businesses differ structure wise from selling pokemon cards people always gravitate towards what they perceive as easy money making markets. I just look at it as a chance to get some english 10s for my collection. I just hope these new sellers realize their worth and accept my reasonable offers.

3 Likes