Original Nintendo Employee 1998 Meeting Book

Just saw this on IG posted by toyarchive2. I thought it was really cool and thought E4 should see it. I’ve never seen it before. I’m wondering if anyone has a full scan of the whole book.

Machoke could have been Kung-Foo

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4b0-sTsCaY/

Here are some screenshots

I actually like Skulkraken

32 Likes

This is awesome. Surely the guy who came up with ‘Flamie’ is out of a job

5 Likes

Some of those names are most definitely names. I can’t imagine growing up with names ranging from Flame to Skulkraken all in 1 game.

2 Likes

Entei to gouging fire is definitely in the wrong direction as well :skull:

3 Likes

I love seeing behind the scenes stuff like this from the early days of Pokemon.

1 Like

Jilly to Tentacool feels like quite a jump. Would love to have something like this in my collection.

So nostalgic

This poster shows all the working names back then ( truncated to 7 characters for some reason)

It’s a bit funny to see how close we were to seeing some of these names for real

Kakuna = Metapod

Jigglypuff with the Japanese name

Screenshot_20240317_092831_Google

Hocus Pocus… Alakazam?

Slowmo is not bad tbh

These have strong “I started the assignment at 11:58pm” vibes

Bro :skull::skull::skull:

Eon makes sense

This is rough.

My personal favorite…

Screenshot_20240317_093456_Chrome

24 Likes

If anyone else is wanting that exquisite Sugimori art on the cover, HiResPokemon on Twitter/X has, you guessed it, high resolution images of them. I went and dug them up.

22 Likes

I love rubber arms meowth drawings. Thanks!

2 Likes

Kung Foo and Ju-Doh :rofl:

It’s so so beautiful :heart_eyes_cat:

Jynx looks like she’s tweeking on crystal meth

3 Likes

Jynx went through a rough patch in her early years. A few controversies actually, but we love her despite her flaws :eye::lips::eye:

1 Like

I’d suspect the 7 character limit is because of early game localization constraints.

There were apparently some press kit stickers that used some pre final 10 character names as well, as documented by the Cutting Room Floor (a very cool wiki) here.

Apparently there’s a leaked doc discussing issues with some of the names in the trademark process as well.

6 Likes

Interesting why they chose to flip some names like staryu and starmie. Also neptune would have been so much cooler name than seaking, seaking feels almost ironical for perhaps the most forgettable gen 1 pokemon :sweat_smile:

3 Likes