Older PSA cards are graded much easier - is it true?

Everyone knows that it’s the 6xx certs that are the TRUE™ 10s.

1 Like

I’m just curious to know what cards you bought that you dropped six figures. Mind sharing?

Once people realize that 99% of PSA 10s are not perfect cards, this discussion will be obsolete. No one is forcing anyone to buy graded 10s, go for 9s or ungraded raw.

11 Likes

I totally agree. People obsess over a number, when at the end of the day grading is subjective. There will always be anomalies and “strong” or “weak” examples of every grade. I used to hyper focus on 10’s since they were the “best” but now I am more than happy saving lots of money and grabbing 9s. I mean some of the strong 9s could possibly regrade a 10, you never know!

3 Likes

Could not have said it better myself!

I’ve funnily enough had an experience which fits this really well:

I had the choice between two PSA 10 copies. One listed on a local Dutch Facebook group (44xx cert), the other on Ebay (18xx cert). Copy on Ebay had the tiniest whitening dot ever, the one of the Facebook group didn’t.

I bought the copy on Facebook, received it, and under bright light and the right angle, some hairline scratches on the holo can be spotted. Actually bothers me more than the tiny dot of whitening would have.

Morals of the story: PSA 10s aren’t perfect cards, they almost never are. The 10s I do own in my collection, after inspecting them “closer” after this experience, except for maybe a handful, all have the tiniest possible defect I could pinpoint. And the other moral… not all types of damage are visible on the typical pictures you will find on a listing/for sale post. A large amount of defects with WOTC holographic cards will be on the surface. This really throws off a lot of inexperienced collectors too. “Why is my card only a 7!? Look at the back, 1 tiny spot of whitening, I’ve seen worse 8s!” I can almost guarantee you that surface has scratching going on.

5 Likes

It’s a bell curve. Older PSA certs seem to be shifted more towards PSA 9’s.

1 Like

This has been done. The grades came back worse. Isn’t that right, @jcincy ?

1 Like

@enigma Another thing to keep in mind is that I bet if you cracked and regarded 10’s with 2xx certs the day they arrived years ago, a good chunk of them would’ve also been downgraded to a 9 even back then. So even if you did that experiment it wouldn’t really prove much.

I have 2xx 10’s that look cleaner than 4xx and vice versa. My theory is that maybe graders, even if only subconsciously, started to be more vigilant as Pokemon cards started to be taken more seriously in general and commanding higher prices. The difference between a 9 and a 10 can often be $1000’s so they can’t be so willy nilly when PSA have to provide their financial guarantee. Also with PSA being the go-to service for grading pkmn cards (which now brings them noteworthy revenue) there’s more pressure to uphold their reputation and give accurate grades than before.

But I find most 2xx certs are accurate and if not, just use their financial guarantee. I would never pass on a card because it’s a 2xx cert personally and I know there are plenty of other people that think the same. So there will always be buyers if you want to sell, and a regrade + financial guarantee service if you don’t like the grade. Not really worth worrying about.

6 Likes

That’d be great and all in an ideal world, but their financial guarantee, from what I perceive on this forum, never gets honored.

only 7 psa 10 1st ed zards havve been graded since 2017 and all of them before that are old certs so yes there is some merit to this thought

I don’t know why this hasn’t been mentioned yet, but supply is a huge factor. There aren’t that many raw mint cards around that haven’t been graded. And opening a bunch of packs to pull the card you want was way easier when a box of base unlimited was $400 and 1st edition Neo was $700.

2 Likes

Grading is subjective and there will always be undergrades/overgrades regardless of certs. Unless people start cracking psa 10’s out to compare in large quantity theres no way to know as its impossible for the everyday submitter to catch all flaws of a card when its slab. As always buy the card not the grade.

I only buy 3xx certs

This topic has been discussed at length on the forum multiple times. @pkmnflyingmaster gave the best answer you’ll find on page 1.

Once you get into conspiracy theories and ““evidence”” like this which I hope to god is sarcasm, it’s time to drop it.

3 Likes