Non claim at customs.

Here’s the situation:

Item sold 6th June 2018 on ebay.
Sent out on 7th June via Royal Mail International Tracked to Argentina.
Item arrived at destination country customs 12th June.
Item was not claimed by buyer and sent back to me on 23rd July.
Buyer has not been in contact with me since purchase.

I’ve never had someone not claim and also not contact me.

Value of the card was ~ $50 ( 40 GBP )

Do I just sit and wait for the buyer to contact me? They don’t seem to have any intention of wanting this card or may have forgotten about it.

Thanks if anyone can give advice.

How many times have you tried to contact them?

I tried to contact them once one week after the card had arrived at customs. Never heard from them.

I guess you cant force them to take the card which you obviously tried to deliver. In your case I would try to contact them again, if no response just wait until they contact you, there´s nothing you could do then

Thanks this is what I have done now. Just sent them a reminder informing them I have the card back now. Whether they still want it or not is up to them.

Like others have said, not much more you can do, however my personal opinion would be wait a few days then refund the money if that is possible. My own conscience would feel that if I tried to resell the card knowing the original buyer has no card and lost the money would reflect negatively on my business. Just my opinion though.

I would do nothing, and simply wait for either a response from the buyer or ebay and hold onto the payment. If you have tracking that shows that the buyer did not pick up the package through customs, along with the fact you messaged the buyer multiple times with no response, the buyer effectively loses their buyer protection.

However, I won’t refund them without approval from ebay/paypal because what can happen is that if you refund the buyer, there’s still a chance that they can file a claim with either ebay or their credit card company which would put you at a disadvantage if you refunded them first.

I recently shipped to Canada for the first time. I was sending a card to get signed at a convention. Whenever shipping with USPS I always put the accurate value of the card in case of issues. Since this shipment required going through customs, they threw on a $47 customs fee that the recipient would be responsible for paying.
Did the same thing happen here? Did you put a declared value high enough that they would have to pay extra? If so, maybe they weren’t willing or didn’t factor in the cost when purchasing the card. The guy I shipped to said to always declare it at $5 regardless of what’s inside to avoid these charges.

Good question… I too would like to know about this. I’ve seen sellers claim cards for wayyy less than what they are actually worth.