NEED HELP resolving an Ebay refund request

Hi guys, so I purchased a 270 usd card on 3/17/2020 from Britain. Seller shipped tracked but due to covid, the building receiving it was closed so the delivery attempt failed (I have to ship all I buy to the states and pay a middleman that maybe in a year period will bring the stuff to me by plane, it’s the only way I can get cards safely here). Had someone call usps to arrange another delivery and they did, but for no reason 1 hour later they label it to be retuned to sender and there was nothing else they could do. So I contacted the seller, exlained the situation and told him I still wanted the card and that I would pay shipping again when he gets it back. Card has been stuck in mail since May 12 without updates. Now I can’t ask for guaranteed money back on Ebay cos it seems it’s too late for that, all I can do is open a request for a refund, that I did, in which I explained to the seller that I will not be able to receive the card again because the manager from the building told me they will work with even more strick schedules, so this is most likely to happen again. He replied that the card is still on transit, but honestly I want a refund. All that I can do now is send him another message again, there is no other option on the request available. On one hand I want him to receive the card first and then refund me so he doesn’t think I’m taking advantage, but on the other hand I’m scared as hell and just want my money back because 270 usd is my salary of almost 4 months ( and I’m a medic working a partial job, salaries are kinda lame). If anyone had a similar issue or has any info on how Ebay manage these things or what can I do please let me know I will really appreciate it.

I also want to know what happens if the cards never arrives to him or if it arrives but he denies to refund me.

How was the purchase made? Ebay?, paypal?, F+F?, G+S?

Seller shouldn’t be expected to refund until he receives the item back though!

1 Like

Purchase was made on Ebay. But what happens if the cards is lost in the mail?

open an item not received case, either through ebay, or paypal

If this doesn’t work, you could also try going straight to the card company that you used to pay for the card. I’ve had to do this before with American Express and had a good experience.

1 Like

If receiving party doesn’t accept the shipment and it’s labeled back to sender as “declined on delivery” (or something like that) eBay will side with the seller, refund the sellers fees etc.

Also… the US Postal is completely locked. Nothing comes in, nothing goes out. I got a packet stuck in limbo since end of March because US customs doesn’t check it in.

2 Likes

I do also think the seller shouldn’t have to refund until they have the card back in their hands tbh. This whole situation is entirely out of their control after all. They did what they had to: send the item to the address specified. And it is now being returned to them, probably with huge delays due to corona but that’s again not something they are responsible for. Opening an item not received case for an item that’s currently being returned to sender after not being able to be delivered kinda seems like a dick move in my opinion, but that’s just me.

7 Likes

I know that too. It’s not the seller’s fault at all. I opened the request in the first place just to sent him a message, because when I tried to message him the normal way Ebay won’t let me, and unexpected error poped (guess because too much time passed since the purchase). So I opened a request to tell him to pm me as soon as he gets the card back. My fear is what happens if the card never arrives to him, we will both lose? Ebay covers me and not him? Ebay covers him and not me?

I had this happen to me I was the seller. An item was being returned to me and because of the covid delay and it was taking a really long time to return. The buyer wanted me to refund him but I chatted with eBay support and they told me I should only issue a refund when the items is in my hands so I can inspect it in case of any damage.

In the end the buyer did not open a case with eBay or PayPal which I probably could have denied. Eventually, I was told item was lost so they submitted a claim and then I refunded the buyer.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. In this case you lost the cash and the card? If that’s what happened it sucks hard

It was a blister pack I sold for approx $380. I only insured $300 but I just received the cheque yesterday for $328. I think extra money was the shipping cost I think. I lost about $50 in total but it happens. The Canada Post employee basically told me that they are not prioritizing returns, so who knows maybe there is a small chance I’ll get my package back one day.

2 Likes

Update:
Seller stopped replying a month ago. Ebay request closed automatically today due to inactivity. Tracking states “Disposed by Post Office → Your item could not be delivered to the intended recipient or returned to sender. It has been disposed of by USPS” which I guess means it was destroyed by USPS. I filed a claim in USPS for a redelivery but item never showed up. I opened a case at Paypal’s resoluton center, and it’s waiting for the seller to reply my message. I never filled a claim with Paypal, anyone knows what happens now? I read that if he doesn’t reply for 20 days the disputes escalates to a claim and Paypal steps in. Is this true? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks all.

Girl, preach!

“I opened the request in the first place just to sent him a message, because when I tried to message him the normal way Ebay won’t let me, and unexpected error popped”