Karl Jobst video about WATA, Heritage & Market Manipulation

I don’t think a thread or post about this has been made yet, I’m mid-way through this right now but I figured it’s well worth sharing here as the points Karl outlines seem very relevant and well fact-checked:

Karl Jobst is a Goldeneye 64 speedrunner who has recently started making some fantastic videos about video game feats, exposed cheaters and general highscore history.

The basic tl;dr is that he believes WATA and Heritage amongst a few others have been working together to manipulate the video games market to create an artificial bubble. I figure this is relevant for the General Board here as Heritage is such a big name in high-end TCG auctioning as well.

Edit:

22 Likes

So a 50 minute video of libel, from someone with minimal knowledge and experience of collectibles. Bonus points, also pins a victim complex comment hoping these companies don’t go after him for calling them frauds for an hour… Literally attacking companies, but is somehow the victim. Typical youtube drama that pretends its educating.

6 Likes

“No one buying actually wants tulips, they just hope to make money. And secondly, this process is not sustainable and eventually people stop buying”

oh hey it’s evolutions

6 Likes

Graded video games without pop reports is speculation at its finest

15 Likes

This is a weak and tired argument. Fite me on discord.

2 Likes

This should go on the Content Creator Megathread :grinning:

5 Likes

People will just complain about someone having a contrarian opinion and how hot garbage that thread is, which is what happens 90% of the time.

So maybe isolating those comments to a different thread might be a good idea ?

@smpratte I think you should just watch the video first as I think a lot of the things you’re saying aren’t really about the video, rather what I’ve said about it after only watching half of it (I’m not in a position to finish watching it yet, unfortunately).

I personally know very little about the video game collectable scene (it doesn’t really interest me much, if I’m honest), but it seems like market manipulation has been a hot topic since that $1.5m sale.

Heritage’s co-chariman appears to have a lot of involvement in the internal affairs of WATA and it sounds like WATA were given exclusive video game sale access on Heritage before the company had even graded their first game - which doesn’t really make much sense from an auction house perspective as surely they’d be open to accepting any graded or ungraded video game. This is simply something I’ve been told in this video and I don’t know how true it is.

3 Likes

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I tried watching the video but its the same tired points: over generalizing demand and collectibles markets, savior complex with loads of defamation and gatekeeping. Par for the course.

1 Like

This tbh. As a fan of speedrunning, Karl’s a well respected source who tends to do his homework. Now admittedly that doesn’t mean this vid is correct, but I doubt it’s a case of clickbait.

1 Like

I’ve never seen any of his videos so I’ll take what you say about him doing research at face value, but he seems out-of-his-element on this. Around the 18 minute mark, he talks in length about how the new graded video game collectors are anonymous (unlike the older better collectors who did it for love and would show off their collection) and these new bad collectors are just buying at record breaking prices to drive up perceived value and then listing them on eBay for millions of dollars.

Does he not realize that those eBay listings he used as examples are people showing off their collection? He seems so blinded by his stance that he can’t see beyond what fits his argument. Some of the most expensive cards in Pokemon are listed on eBay at exorbitant prices as showcase listings, a way to show off the item to people digitally, but no these guys with million dollar listings can’t be good collectors like the old pure ones who did it for the love. They must be new bad collectors who do it for money.

This guy just made a 50 minute video about the NOT A TRUE COLLECTOR meme.

8 Likes

I’d imagine a lot of people with WATA games will be pretty defensive about this video :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s hard to ignore the evidence of market manipulation presented by Karl as well as the comments from the actual experts in the hobby.

Another well researched and informative video from Karl :blush:

3 Likes

he should stick to speedrunning

Don’t bid for something at a price you don’t want to pay

I did it, I just solved shill bidding and market manipulation in one post.

7 Likes

Pat’s statement at the end is the weirdest mix of entitlement and gate keeping I’ve ever seen.

6 Likes

A speedrunner? WATAs he know

2 Likes

I’ve been buying coins from Heritage for years and had been watching video games perform from the sidelines. I was thinking about participating in an upcoming video game auction, but not anymore after this.

breaking news, guy who has bought 0 video games continues to buy 0 video games

1 Like

Just wanted to share how I felt mate; I once bought my first Pokémon card too, now I’m an active participant in the hobby.

im just teasing