JPN Shining Celebi Error/Variant

I don’t typically collect error cards although, I’ve recently found myself perplexed by one in particular. This card being the Japanese Shining Celebi from the Neo set Darkness, and To Light…

Lately I’ve been looking back and purchasing holo set cards which I had either missed at the time of collecting or variants that hadn’t been recognised yet. Holo set cards that have multiple cards with the same artwork include both error and corrected versions like the ‘Dengeki Pichu’ and ‘60+ Typhlosion’. Other cards I’ve made sure to collect now are the Gym Leaders and Gym Challenge deck variants, without the rarity symbols.

All this searching lead me to this Celebi, which I cannot find any informational posts about.

Dubbed as the ‘3rd wing Celebi’ I can only speculate that this was an anomaly when printing the first wave. If this is the case, it was quickly revised and corrected as the one we see more frequently is without the ‘3rd wing’. Also the much later English print run is also without this marking making it the default artwork.

It’s been a while since I first noticed this variant and I’m now happy to share as I have acquired both variants. I’ve been keeping watch over copies on the market, funnily enough I can’t say I’ve seen anyone stipulating in the title or description that there’s a difference. The ‘3rd wing Celebi’ is easily the exception and not the rule in terms of scarcity between the two.

I’d love to hear what you think about this card. Have you noticed this before? Will you now collect both variants? Why is it that no one talks about this error? Maybe you have it in your collection and don’t know it! Hopefully PSA can give recognition to this on the label in the future.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully this was helpful!

6 Likes

Maybe I’m being blind but I can’t see the difference, could you highlight it?

2 Likes

Apologies, it’s easy to spot once you spot it.

5 Likes

This is an awesome catch. Reminds me of the black flame Ninetails. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for one of these now.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I’d definitely recommend it. Knowing it’s out there and since it’s not a one off error I wouldn’t be satisfied with my complete holo sets if I chose to ignore it. I can also understand why some collectors wouldn’t be as fussed about it though, as it is very minor revision.

1 Like