Japanese Dark Rush - No Unlimited Variant?

I need help determining if I need to include the 6 Eevee cards from Dark Rush unlimited set into my wants list.

From Bulbapedia:
“The Dark Rush set is released in Japanese and Korean. The Japanese set is only available in 1st edition, and the Korean set is only available in unlimited edition.”
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dark_Explorers_(TCG)
However, I have discredited the reliability from Bulbapedia by looking at the Awakening Psychic King set. Bulba states: “The Awakening Psychic King set is released in Japanese and Korean. The Japanese set is only available in 1st edition, and the Korean set is only available in unlimited edition.”
However, I own an Umbreon EX from this set in unlimited.

From PSA pop report, there is one unlimited card graded, 072 Full Art/Darkrai EX. It is possible it is mislabeled and should have been labeled as 1st edition. It wouldn’t surprise me if PSA messed this up since I have seen so many errors, such as labeling a holo Eevee 11 promo as JR Stamp Rally instead of just a normal Black Star Promo (my free jab at PSA).
www.psacard.com/pop/tcg-cards/2011/pokemon-japanese-black-white-dark-rush/105275

Troll and Toad has a listing that includes a photo of that Darkrai EX mentioned above without a 1st edition stamp.
www.trollandtoad.com/pokemon/black-white-dark-rush-unlimited-singles/darkrai-ex-japanese-072-069-ultra-rare-unlimited-bw4-dark-rush-/1182284

I searched ebay for every card in the Dark Rush set and have only seen 1st editions.

Is there a consensus that Dark Rush did indeed only come in 1st edition for Japanese?

3 Likes

I think you might be right. I’ve never been able to find any Dark Rush eeveeltuions in unlimited. I just searched for the full art Darkrai EX on a bunch of websites and they all seem to be first edition. It’s just really hard to see unless it’s the perfect angle. Looking at the Troll and Toad picture, I think I can just barely make out the 1st edition symbol on the bottom of the card. PSA might be in the wrong here.

I am hoping there isn’t an unlimited variant. Been looking for years as well as some other Eevee collectors, and haven’t had any luck. Would enjoy taking 6 cards off the needs list.

I have been collecting the Japanese BW era for awhile and I have never come across any unlimited cards for BW4. On some like the Darkrai EX Full Art the card’s coloring makes it quite difficult to see the 1st edition stamp, so I can certainly understand why people may mistake it for unlimited. The T&T picture is so low quality that I can’t tell if it’s stamped or not.

It’s always hard to prove a negative, but until I see otherwise, I’d go with no unlimited print run for BW4. If it is out there, it’s extremely rare.

PSA have a habit of mislabelling 1st edition Japanese cards as unlimited. I’ve been in an ongoing discussion with them since 2019 about the supposed 6 unlimited Pichu and 2 unlimited Pokémon Collector cards they’ve graded from the SoulSilver Collection set, but so far that hasn’t yielded any results. They’ve also supposedly graded 4 unlimited SoulSilver Collection booster packs, to add insult to injury, yet as far as anyone on E4 is aware that set never had a fully-unlimited print run.

1 Like

Fixed, thanks! :blush: I’m the one who added all the “Languages this set is released in” on Bulbapedia’s set pages. And although it’s almost entirely correct, there could be some small mistakes regarding Korean Reverse Holos and Japanese 1st/unlimited editions.

I’ve never seen the Red Collection (Noble Victories) nor Dark Rush (Dark Explorers) sets in unlimited edition for the BW era.

And I’ve also never seen the Blue Shock & Red Shock (BREAKthough), Rage of the Broken Heavens (BREAKpoint), nor Expansion Pack 20th Anniversary (Evolutions) in unlimited edition, nor the 20th Anniversary Starter Pack (Generations) in 1st edition for the XY era.

Greetz,
Quuador

Thanks Quuador! One more update to share is Rage of the Broken Heavens has an unlimited run. I own an unlimited Espeon EX from that set.
Also, thanks for all the work you have put into Bulba. The other languages section is very helpful. It would be awesome if Pokémon company was able to help out and confirm what print runs they did.

1 Like

Fixed as well.

This thread is probably more up-to-date than Bulbapedia tbh (although could contain some minor mistakes as well I guess).

Greetz,
Quuador

I’ve noticed that sometimes Japanese “special packs”/blisters with packs from multiple sets have some unlimited packs.

For example, I believe the M Rayquaza Jumbo pack has unlimited Tidal Storm and Gaia Volcano packs.

I have come to the conclusion that Dark Rush is 1st edition only for Japanese. I reviewed all listings on ebay for every card in the set. I also reviewed all scans on websites like tcgrepublic, among others. Looks like that will be 6 fewer unlimited variants I need.

I was wondering the same for Phantom Gate (XY4), as I have yet to see any unlimited cards from that set.

I guess it related to my search on unlimited set. I’m happy to find unlimited xy10 box, but wasn’t able to pull any unlimited alakazam. :thinking:

2 Likes