Is Pokemon releasing too many sets?

I personally get overwhelmed by the amount and the frequency Pokémon is releasing their new sets.
What do you think?

Too many sets per year?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

To frequent releases per year?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’d lean toward yes, but it’s also naive of us to think that way. The more sets Pokemon releases, the more money they’ll put in their pockets, which is fine. It may be a little much, but clearly, we have all been able to manage. At least somewhat, anyway.

1 Like

For the collector: Yes.

For the average consumer: No.

For children: Absolutely not.

19 Likes

This is actually a perfect way of putting it.

4 Likes

Maybe the amount of sets would be fine if they followed the Japanese method with smaller set sizes. Having 200+ card sets is what puts me off from modern more so than the amount of sets.

3 Likes

In the past I would have said yes for both questions, but that was when I was still collecting all TCG language for Pikachu. Since I started collecting just English for Pikachu (for releases since Feb. 27th, 2021), it’s actually in a nice and pretty slow tempo, giving me time to go after other collection goals (mostly Seviper non-TCG stuff these days).

But again, I’m biased, since in 2019 alone 233 Pikachu TCG cards were released, and I also collect FA Supporters/CHRs and Seviper simultaneously… :sweat_smile: When you’re used to sprinting at high speed nonstop, a marathon seems slow in comparison. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I think part of the problem is the supply issue. For example 151 does not have enough supply, so the experience feels delayed. This I think compounds for subsequent sets and it makes it feel even more overwhelming.

6 Likes

Some sets I will skip entirely and purchase the complete C/U/R/H cards as a lot later on. No sense in stressing over sets these days. I just wish sets weren’t 400+ in size.

1 Like

Was WOTC, Ex Era and DP consistent with about 4-5 sets per year?

For my personal collecting purposes it’s too fast and chaotic. To get all the ones I like would take me dozens of orders from multiple sellers which is time consuming. Compound the supply issue and cost of booster boxes and it makes me want to just wait. It’s more rewarding to have a specific vintage card I’m hunting for and focus my energy on that.

From a company standpoint however, I think Pokemon is producing fantastic cards. There is such a wide variety of art for modern which is great for growing the hobby and the company. Makes you wonder how they’re going to top sets like Vstar and 151.

2 Likes

The quantity per set is a bit much. I also think set cohesion could be a lot better which can help mentally compartmentalize sets and make them feel more distinct rather than what feels like a continuous stream of cards. Following the different Japanese and English release cycles just multiplies this. It doubles the quantity and also adds another layer lacking cohesion given whatever soup TPCi makes from the Japanese ingredients

3 Likes

Very much so. I haven’t finished paldea evolved but if i want to complete obsidian flames then i need to take a look at that soon. And 151 just started preordering.

A set every 3 months seems much more reasonable if you want to get a master set.

i think the frequency is actually just about right. something new every 6-8 weeks in japan is enough time to buy what you want from the set and be prepared for the next.

tbf i imagine set collectors of any kind (i.e. all special arts, all full art supporters, all cards of a set, etc) have the polar opposite opinion because it takes them time to build out their set and they’re likely falling behind.

I’d argue even for an avid TCG player it’s not either. Mostly due to how so few cards in any given set actually make it into the meta. I’d rather not see people using the same Mew and Lugia decks for two years personally.

Absolutely yes.
There’s so many sets and subset that’s intimidating for someone (me) who came back to the hobby after some years of pausing.
I just can’t picture myself making full sets anymore.
Let alone the money it would take, but consider also the space needed to store them.

I’m completely conscious that not every collector here, if not the majority, don’t go after filling sets but either go for the rarities or only specific pokemons/cards.

But since there are “sets” and we are collectors in the spirit of “gotta catch 'em all!” I think that should be the road traced for us at least in the head of who’s printing them.

Summary

I know I don’t know how to express myself, everyone is free to do as he pleases, but if you only collect specific pokemons and buy let’s say 3 cards for each set, you can’t really complain. While someone who’s taking everything ~100/200 cards for each set may just want this not to end but at least to slow down.

It’s insane and it scares me.

2 Likes

Best answer here

One of the most overwhelming parts of set collecting is the sheer number of cards per set, specifically for the higher rarity tiers (full art+). It’s a delicate balance that I still don’t think TPC or TPCI have been spot on with

1 Like

Not a problem for me. They can release sets all they want, while I just acquire the cards I like. Have skipped quite a number of sets I don’t like or their cards don’t appeal to me, examples like Lost Origin, Brilliant Stars, Crown Zenith, etc.

1 Like

I don’t mind sets so much as special or ltd edition box items. And it’s not that bad.

Giggles at pirate-hat WotC.

It really does depend.

As a dragonite only collector, the pace is fine. A couple cards a year, no stress!

As a set collector, I assume the answer is a resounding yes. Which begs the question, just how many people are out there are collecting master sets these days?