Is now a good time to buy Base 1st?

Not exactly what you were asking, but the Japanese base is ridiculously cheap for PSA 9 holos right now. Doesn’t break the bank, and the value, IMO, is insane for the cost.

4 Likes

Buy what you like of course, but personally I think you can’t go wrong with a high grade base 1st PSA 9-10.

I would collect the low pop stuff personally.

Think people have covered the holos pretty well. I completed my PSA 8 set back in February 2022 and have been eyeing PSA 9’s for a while now. I noticed a slight uptick over the last 6 months, but they’re still attractive to me. KantoShark just sold a thick stamp Venusaur PSA 9 for a little over $2k, great buy IMO. At these prices I definitely see myself pursuing a PSA 9 holo set once I pick up the PSA 10 non-holos I am missing.

Speaking of which, the non-holos are down even more than the holos. I’ve seen some PSA 10 trainers go for pretty close if not exactly what I paid in 2018-19 (ex. not too long ago a Pokemon Center sold on eBay for ~$50.) There’s also been plenty of Squirtle and Charmander PSA 10 sales ranging from $600-$800 on PWCC. Crazy to think they were selling for $3-4k daily during the boom.

It’s tough to predict bottoms, but I think a lot of these cards have hit their inflection points and some are even off their lows already. No one knows if or when these cards will “stonk” again, but I see a great amount of value in purchasing 1st ed base at these prices.

2 Likes

The kantoshark Venusaur sale was around 2600 usd. I had my highest bid at 2500usd but got outbid last second. I dont know why he said it sold for 2150 on instagram.

1 Like

I can’t believe they can sell anything without back pics. I have bought a card from their eBay auction before, no issues there. But come on. One more scan will not take that much time.

3 Likes

This was the era where holos were in every pack, right? Or was that after Jpn Base?

1 Like

That was after japanese base!

2 Likes

I had no idea, but stoked Scott informed :sweat_smile: :handshake:
Even at one in every pack, it would be ridiculous value to me