Info about 1st Edition Base Set and Jungle Set BoosterPacks

I am an avid MTG collector and just recently came into a set of three base set Pokémon booster packs and a set of three Jungle packs. I have played the Pokémon games since I was a child but never got into the card game, idk… just never grabbed me. Anyways, I was hoping to find more information on how to handle these packs. Should I open them and grade the cards or just keep them sealed? If anyone has a link to a thread that could help me out that would be best, I just couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for perusing the forum myself. Thanks in advance (:

There is a lot to unpack here, pardon the pun. Firstly, there is a decent chance that the packs are light (don’t contain a holo) if you bought them online.
What is your motivation for each of those options? If you’re trying to maximise your money then in all likelihood opening/grading them will not end well, especially considering the time and effort required to do so.

check the pack weight database!

Absolutely don’t open them until you are certain of what you have.

If you post pictures of the Base packs, some of the folks here can help you figure out whether they potentially contain shadowless cards.

Thank you, I received them through an auction house that was bidding them during a live box break. It was fun to watch and got them for a nice price considering I’m more motivated towards collecting beautiful cards that I can enjoy while appreciating value at the same time. So I was thinking I might open one up and have some fun.

I’ve since looked at the spreadsheet, thank you. I’ll be weighing the packs soon and I think I’ll open one up for fun! Didn’t realize the weights were so thoroughly analyzed.

Got it, I’ll take a few photos in the natural daylight tomorrow and post them, but first I’m going to read about shadowless cards myself. I’ve also been told to weigh them in order to identify possible holos. Thank you for your advice, great help.

2 Likes

What do you want to know about Shadowless cards? If they are 1st Edition Packs you should be reading about 1st Edition cards

just remember there are also variations of shadowless packs too so it could be the random ones or the error ones with 3 1st edition cards in them

So I’ve since identified the booster packs I have as Unlimited booster packs, which as I understand it means that they are not the shadowless print run. My plan hasn’t changed though, I think once my scale comes in the mail I’ll open the heaviest pack for fun, all I want is to hold a beautiful holographic 1st edition card in my hand and tilt it back and forth in the light.

Good to know, although I read up on the topic and figured out that they were opened from a booster box with a blue winged Charizard and each say “11 additional game cards” on their fronts which I’m pretty sure means they are 100% not shadowless.

Just so you’re aware, unlimited booster packs will not contain 1st edition cards, much less 1st edition holos. They will contain unlimited base cards, and unlimited holos.

Oh, I see. Clearly I have much to learn about Pokémon TCG. Honestly as long as the cards have that vintage look I’ll be happy (: