I saw something cool yesterday

Yesterday I was buying some cards from Legends Comics and Games in San Jose, CA and I saw the coolest thing. As I was picking out a few WOTC first ed cards from the store’s shelves, a kid (probably 8 or 9 years old) came in to buy a base set Blastoise.

He came to the store with his dad with the sole purpose of purchasing that one card. I asked him why he was buying that card and he told me he was collecting the base set and working on jungle and fossil as well. I showed him the first ed Nidoking I was buying and some of the other cards, and he was very excited to see a first edition holo.

Just wanted to share this with you all as it was very nice to see the younger kids interested in the old stuff as well.

21 Likes

That’s awesome! I am happy that the older cards appeal to kids that aren’t nostalgic to them :blush:
I wonder if the dad was a collector back in the day or if he still just want to support the sons hobby?

3 Likes

I can’t wait until I have a son or daughter and they want to collect the base set. And then I can look at them, smile, and wiping a tear from my eye say, “oh my dear sweet child. It makes me so happy that you think you can collect whatever you want. But in this house we collect Rayquaza,and only Rayquaza. So don’t you ever say any more dumb shit like that ever again :blush:

29 Likes

I dig it. I’m a 30 year old dad with two boys, and one of them is deeply into Pokemon. Makes it easier to buy expensive cards for myself, heh. And when the time comes, I wouldn’t mind putting out any amount of money so that my boy gets the card(s) that he wants. (As long as I know that he’ll take care of it/them). Then again, those Psa cases are pretty tough. But not against a pair of lineman pliers and a flat head screwdriver…

1 Like

I was looking through the card section at walmart yesterday hoping for some early release screw-ups (which walmart is known for) of Dragon Majesty, and two boys came over, they were probably maybe 6 or 7, and they went crazy when they saw the pokemon cards. They grabbed a Team Skull Pin box and squealed “Look! It’s a legendary Pokemon!”
It was actually just a Golisopod…but I had to smile at their excitement! :grin:

1 Like

When I found out there was a hyper rare rayquaza in the newest set, the first thing I thought of was:

@RayquazaTCG let me know if i didn’t include enough rayquazas to accurately portray your current stash

9 Likes

XD :heart_eyes: