How would you adjust the Pokemon in the early WOTC sets?

Ash had one in the TV show so most likely the decision was influenced by that

m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash%27s_Noctowl

Like others have said, I would’ve definitely included the Mew as a holo in Fossil. Similarly, I wish they had kept the Beedrill holo in Neo Discovery. Same for Aerodactyl in Neo Revelation.

1 Like

Base set.

Switch out Chansey or Clefairy and add Gengar.

I always thought Gastly and Haunter just sat in awkwardly without him.

It has always bothered me that in legendary collection they used rockets dark blastoise artwork. They should’ve used base set blastoise artwork to match the base Charizard and the base venusaur in legendary collection…

5 Likes

Actually there is a very good reason for this. At the time of Legendary Collection WoTC was putting greater effort into balancing the game with modified formats (e.g. Rocket on or Neo on) that excluded all the broken base set cards. Base set Blastoise was simply too powerful to be reprinted.

Edit: Dark Blastoise was also illustrated by Mitsuhiro Arita, so in a way it goes better with the other two!

4 Likes

Often less is more. Shining Gyarados and magikarp are more iconic since they are derived from the games/animes and therefore make more sense. The choice of shinings in Neo Destiny seem more random and I think it would have been cooler if they were more tied into the dark/light theme of this set. For instance they could have settled with just the Mewtwo and Celebi to represent dark/light. Also, even without secret rares Neo Destiny is still an amazing set.

I would have made the Mysterious fossil a Pokemon, rather than trainer card. Always seemed weird to me having Pokemon evolve off of it.

1 Like

Also, sticking with the Dark Venusaur theme, there should have been a Dark Meganium in Neo Destiny, too.

My guess is that the lack of Dark Venusaur and Dark Meganium in those two sets had to do with the fact that they were the least popular starters in their respective generations.

Still felt weird, though.

Oh; I also feel like there should have been a Light Umbreon in Neo Destiny. It just makes too much sense.

Mew was originally in the Japanese Fossil set so it’s weird it was cut out and turned into a Promo in the west. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad but you had to go over the original sets to “catch them all”.

Don’t get me wrong; I completely understand your point, and the Shinings are actually my least favorite part of Neo Destiny anyway (was never crazy about Shining artworks). But, I think the goal was to make Neo Destiny really stand out, which explains the eight Shinings.

1 Like

The neo destiny shinings made sense for the time. Most were legendary or popular pokemon. Steelix and steel type in general was popular. Noctowl was Ash’s first shiny pokemon and first shiny I believe in the anime.

1 Like

Get rid of the monstrosity that is Dark Weezing and make dark Jolteon, Flareon, and Vaporeon holo rares.

Love the artwork of those cards and that whole set in general.

1 Like

@muhkurt, Half of my pulls as a kid were Dark Weezing. Unlimited, barely holo Dark Weezing. :unamused:

@smpratte, wow. started from the bottom now you’re here :laughing:

1 Like

Ahhh I see, never knew that. I never saw the anime with 2nd generation pokemon. I read the article from your link, that’s cool to know!

2 Likes

I had no problem with Weezing being a holo. It’s just that the holo itself was so horrendous.

A lot of the purple/dark holos looked really bad back then, though. Base Set Mewtwo is another example.